Issues with pto (solved)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you saying that PTO is going to supply over 700 RMS (AC) voltage constantly? What the PTO is going to produce is a peak DC surge voltage and current at same time as the magnetic field collapses. Both diodes can handle the 1000 PIV inverse voltage. The diode is use to short circuit the inverse DC voltage which would cause a high current in the PTO clutch field clamping any induced voltage and current. Beside the repetitive peak rating is 989.8v (700 VRMS); Pretty darn close to 1000V repetitive voltage.

Beside the 1N4007 has the same RMS rating.
1712495637033.png

Now AC and DC can be on the circuit as the same time as I am currently running a system here that does that 24/7. Just requires a DC blocking circuit prevent the DC on the AC only circuit.

closecut

Threads
Are you saying that PTO is going to supply over 700 RMS (AC) voltage constantly? What the PTO is going to produce is a peak DC surge voltage and current at same time as the magnetic field collapses. Both diodes can handle the 1000 PIV inverse voltage. The diode is use to short circuit the inverse DC voltage which would cause a high current in the PTO clutch field clamping any induced voltage and current. Beside the repetitive peak rating is 989.8v (700 VRMS); Pretty darn close to 1000V repetitive voltage.

Beside the 1N4007 has the same RMS rating.
View attachment 68250

Now AC and DC can be on the circuit as the same time as I am currently running a system here that does that 24/7. Just requires a DC blocking circuit prevent the DC on the AC only circuit.
That is not what I am saying.Read my reply carefully.The flyback(reverse voltage) is the most important in this case.
The spike can puncture the P/N junction long time before the current can affect it. The applied constant voltage is the max it can withstand,not that it is the applied voltage in this case.
You are preaching to the choir about applications,and you do not fully understand the specification meanings.Do your homework and reply ..or not.I am not going to tutor you in things you should already know.(A capacitor can also block DC voltage and is used in many applications,such as audio,video,etc.but with different circuit requirements.)A capacitor can also direct ac to ground,or another section,depending on frequency, of the circuit as well,while passing the AC signal through.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oh just forget it. The specs are the same except the 8.3 ms surge current ratings and package design. That is if you bother to look at both spec charts.

closecut

Threads
The proof is in the pudding as they say.No repeat failures with the 1n4007.When I was 10 years old,I was building cat whisker radios,(1960's) then vacuum tube radios,then transistors came along,solid state radios,then binary computers and I learned binary,boolean algebra, various programming languages starting with low level programming,where you had to manipulate the registers on machine level using binary or octal or hexadecimal, Basic,C,C+C++,Fortran,Cobol,and UNIX and other proprietary languages,like Ftran.Along the way,I worked as a mechanic for a dealer ship,went to factory schools,built a race car,I know what works and lasts and what doesn't work or last.
Minimum specs
that will live through the warranty period is the mantra of modern business.I see it across all sectors,appliances,cars,electronics.
Look around and you will see what I mean.
Exit 0
Adious Amigo