Issue With Priming System

philipk65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, A neighbor gave me a 2000 Craftsman 22 inch self propelled mover.

It had several issues. I fixed them all except, it won't start without a shot of gas or starting fluid in the carb.

I think the problem is the primer. I've taking the primer and the carb apart and they both look good. When you push the prime bulb, I see or hear no gas shooting into the carb.

When I take the air cleaner and air cleaner frame off the carb, I don't see anyway for the prime bulb to suck gas.

The hole in the back of the air cleaner frame for the primer is a dead end, there's just the gasket there (no hole behind the gasket either).

Am I missing parts or have have wrong ones on here?

I'm all a lost. Any solutions or ideas? Thanks! Kevin

WISCOPROUD

Threads
if its a Briggs the plastic base maybe warped and not sealing to give you priming. might have to replace or try doubling up the gasket

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In both Briggs and Tecumseh the primer does not suck gas from the tank. They are designed to put pressure on the fuel in the float bowl. If you have a Tecumseh the most common causes is a pin hole in the bulb or a float bowl gasket that is not sealing properly. If you have a Briggs the most common causes are again a pin hole in bulb or the gasket between the air cleaner base and the carb. Here you must make sure that the air cleaner mounting screws are tight and you have a good gasket. In both cases I am assuming the you have made sure the main nozzle was clean when you reassembled the carb. Also in both cases you must be sure that the main jet (which is part float bowl screw) is clean and the very small holes are open.

Lawnranger

Threads
if its a Briggs the plastic base maybe warped and not sealing to give you priming. might have to replace or try doubling up the gasket

I've had to do this to two separate B&S engines this week alone. Using two gaskets, that is.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tip to eliminate double gaskets. Apply a thin coat of lithium grease to both sides of the gasket before installing. The grease causes the gasket to swell abit making it seal better. I use this trick a lot, especially where gaskets like to slip.

philipk65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info! I'll try the grease trick!

Lawnranger

Threads
Tip to eliminate double gaskets. Apply a thin coat of lithium grease to both sides of the gasket before installing. The grease causes the gasket to swell abit making it seal better. I use this trick a lot, especially where gaskets like to slip.

I'll give that a try. I'm sure I'll see one of these soon enough.

Thanks

Scoots

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had an issue with the priming of my Craftsman mower (made in '96). It has the Briggs model #12H802 engine. A little shot of starter fluid and the engine fired right up, let the mower cool down and depress the primer any number of times and you could pull 'til your arm fell off. :frown:
I rebuilt the carb and replaced the primer bulb - no luck :frown:; applied a little lithium grease to the air cleaner gasket - no luck :frown:; doubled up on the gasket, depressed the primer a couple to times and the engine fired right up!:cool2: