IS700Z - Iridium plugs FYI

SirMowzalot

Threads
I just bought this thing (less than 5 hours) and noticed a rough idle to the point where there was a knocking noise from something shaking underneath. So I swapped in some NKG Iridiums (BKR5EIX). Now it purrs like a kitten. Champion plugs are great......... for throwing at windows and that's about it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One bad egg doesn’t mean the hen house is rotten. Plus, how do you know it was the plug, could easily have been a loose connection. We’ll never know.

SirMowzalot

Threads
One bad egg doesn’t mean the hen house is rotten. Plus, how do you know it was the plug, could easily have been a loose connection. We’ll never know.
Hmm, no, we'll know. Obviously I didn't have the new plugs on hand when I pulled the existing ones to check them. Gaps were both .03 and with less than 5 hours they were already covered in carbon. They ran the same way when they went back in, as Champions typically do, with both connections tight. If you like them, keep right on buying them. I've been removing and trashing Champions on sight since the 80's and will continue to do so.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Let us know how these plugs go. Our experience with NGK sparkpugs in these engines has been poor. They simply don't last as the heat range is incorrect. It may be purring now but let's give it a few full days in the field and see.

My opinion... you may have to change you name to @SirDoesntMowAlot

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
More scientific wisdom from the internet.

We either have millions of pieces of equipment with bad plugs OR champion has singled you out to send bad plugs to. A conspiracy most likely. I install over 100 spark plugs a year and haven't had a bad one out if the box yet. If your plugs carboned up in 5 hours then either you have the wrong heat range plug, the engine is not running with the proper mixture or the engine is not being run hard enough to get the plug temp up to the self cleaning range.
If $10 spark plugs used in the wrong application makes you happy then go for it.
When champion moved production to Mexico they did have problems with plugs bad out of the box but that was quickly fixed but the "professional" Utuber shadetree mechanics had convinced the world they were all bad.

You do you and i will do me. You can throw every spark plug you want in the trash and i will put in another 100 champions in customers equipment.

Since we have beat oil to death now we can do a spark plug thread.?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A Ford Vs Chey situation really
I tend to use Champions in 2 strokes and NGK's in 4 strokes
This is because Champions have a much broader working range than NGK's so suit the variations in blue smokes better.
I like NGK's on mowers because I can usually fine tune the plugs to the engine as their heat range is smaller so I can go 1 or 2 grades hotter where as with a Champion it is a jump of 2 to 3 grades for each plug.
I also have some Bosh plugs which again are quite coarse in their temperature graduations , but not as coarse as Champions

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am the other way around. I put champs in 4 strokes, mainly RC12Y and RC14Y along with the ubiquitous J19LM. In 2 strokes and Honds i use NGKs. Too many numbers to count but i buy the BPMR7A by the shop pack.

SirMowzalot

Threads
Hope you get 100,000 miles out of them.

More scientific wisdom from the internet.

We either have millions of pieces of equipment with bad plugs OR champion has singled you out to send bad plugs to. A conspiracy most likely. I install over 100 spark plugs a year and haven't had a bad one out if the box yet. If your plugs carboned up in 5 hours then either you have the wrong heat range plug, the engine is not running with the proper mixture or the engine is not being run hard enough to get the plug temp up to the self cleaning range.
If $10 spark plugs used in the wrong application makes you happy then go for it.
When champion moved production to Mexico they did have problems with plugs bad out of the box but that was quickly fixed but the "professional" Utuber shadetree mechanics had convinced the world they were all bad.

You do you and i will do me. You can throw every spark plug you want in the trash and i will put in another 100 champions in customers equipment.

Since we have beat oil to death now we can do a spark plug thread.?
^^^^ That right there is why I will NEVER bring a piece of equipment into a shop.