IS1500 Hydrogear Wheel Motors

KennyD2

Threads
Just replaced my second wheel motor. The original HGM-12C-4025's have been superceded a couple of times and as far as I can tell they are all pretty much gone. I was able to locate two HGM-12E-3050's (2 years apart) that were the updated units. I think the last time I saw the 3050 on Hydrogear's website it was $1,800 but not available. Last month, a mower shop on E Bay had one left for $1,300.

The left motor began to leak a little at the spindle around 1,000 hours. I kept an eye on the fluid level and never had a problem with performance, just a few drops on the floor on occasion. I decided to replace it in 2020. The right side began to leak almost two years later at 1,200 hours. I found another 3050, but waited almost two years before replacing it. (I know, I should have replaced both at the same time) With all that said, Are the two original motors worth trying to find a seal kit to re-furbish? At the time they came off, both were performing very well, just leaking a little oil. The spindles spin with no grinding noise. I have seen seal kits online for less than $150. Are they rebuildable? I feel sorry for IS1500 owners that might be faced with not being able to replace them when needed. I'm hesitant to toss the take-offs but I don't think I want to deal with a re-build. Should I toss or see if anyone wants to buy them?

2006 Ferris IS1500 48" Kawasaki

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The HGM-C wheel motors take seal kit 71466. List for $164.44 The seal kit for your newer HGM-E units are over $400

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IL, The 70602-1 and 70602-2 (which kit depend when the units were made) are not available through my Hydro Gear distributor for the HGM-E. I am even registered as a Hydro Gear warranty center. So whatever that is out there is new old stock.

Now Mulligans is claiming that the White seal kit 11105376 replaces the Hydro Gear 70602-2 and they are over $400. Arkansas Outdoor is claiming that 11105376 replaces the Hydro Gear 70602-3 seal kit but Hydro Gear also has the 70602-3 NLA.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My distributor shows the 70602-1 as NLA and the 70602-2 and 70602-3 superceding to the 11105376 with 8 in stock.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sometimes I wonder if the distributors and OEM are not just playing games with us. Gardner is my main Hydro Gear distributor but just check RBI which the back up distributor and they says 70602-2 is available. Now I am getting confused as to which it is. Now I don't know if I can trust even the Hydro Gear dealer portal which says 70602-2 is N/A.

It sorta like the Cub Cadet parts where one distributor has the parts and the other doesn't or vice versa. Just got to stay on top things I reckon.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Somebody is playing games. Put in a Briggs order with PD on Wednesday about 11 AM and normally takes two days for delivery, hence the Wednesday order. Well they decided to ship it Fedex. Fedex didn't pickup my shipment until 5 PM Thursday so did PD sit on it or did Fedex not pickup. Anyway I received by Briggs order yesterday (Saturday) at 5 PM. \

And to top it off the items that showed as backorder actually shipped and the items that showed in stock backordered.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And they make us look bad when we promise things to be at our place on a specific day based info give by the distributors.

I recently had a bad experience with FedEx back during January. It snowed and instead of delivering before it arrived they took the holiday off. Then it took them 3 weeks to get the package here. I had to return it due HFT pulling an Amazon trick of too big of a box and no packing so the item got damaged. Still awaiting the replacement tool now. I probably have to order it from Amazon now.

As far as FedEx they are terrible lately on picking packages from vendors usually taking up to two days before they even pickup the packages. The only trust worthy shipper is UPS most times.

And as for PD they cancelled my account a couple years ago because I was getting a better discount (20% vs 10%) from A&I. Now that I have left A&I PD is refusing to set up the account. Also Briggs or PD cancelled my dealer access to the Power Portal and Briggs is refusing to correct a download error problem with the EFI software updates. I had reinstall the software in January and now it again will not update.

KennyD2

Threads
On the Hydro Gear HGM-12E-3050 web page it says that it supercedes to part #72281. My local Ferris dealer couldn't find that number anywhere. Is that a parts kit number?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is a complete wheel motor that was superseded to HGM-12E-3051 before it went NLA.

Here is a list of the other PNs that references the 72281. The first PN Toro 103-5333 on the following list pulls the HGM-12E-3051.
1710098107047.png

KennyD2

Threads
Thanks guys for the info! I'm assuming the original HGM-C's are repairable if needed. I'm banking on the HGM E's will outlast me and my soon-to-be 28 year old mower.

There are a lot of the IS1500's still working commercially in my area. I will offer to sell the C's to a yard guy as back-ups. I'm sure they would work for a while before a re-build. With this style motor being obsolete and the Ferris mowers still in good operating condition, it's a matter of time someone will need one or both. I can give them info on the parts kit and let them decide. Just hate to throw them away.

One thing I learned on this thread is it must not be a lot of fun to be in the repair business with all the supply chain nonsense!