Is there a point-less ignition coil retrofit for Bricktop era LawnBoys?

Phototone

Threads
  • / Is there a point-less ignition coil retrofit for Bricktop era LawnBoys?
The Bricktop era Lawnboy mowers. D-series engines I believe. Is there a modern solid-state ignition coil that can replace the point and condenser style they came with?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The later D-series engines have solid state ignition but I'm not sure if those parts would bolt on to an earlier engine.

impalass

Threads
I did a conversion by installing a coil from a 8232 D600 engine and i had to grind some of engine and part of the shroud so that the hi tension wire would not rub. On my conversion i had a big surprise when i started it, it ran backwards. I had to try a couple of times before it started properly which is normal now. It is a hit and miss when it starts properly and apart from that it runs good. You can leave the points and condenser in place in case you want to revert back to the original setup.

Phototone

Threads
Is there a replacement for the original coil? continuing to use the points and condenser?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a replacement for the original coil? continuing to use the points and condenser?

On the later D-series engines the electronic ignition components are integrated with the coil.

Regarding the comment by impalass: if the engine has a tendency to run backwards I would look at the timing (some more adapting may be needed).

This is a worthwhile upgrade. It's worth it to figure out how -- exactly -- to do it right. The solid state ignition system works very well and you never have to worry about the points being dirty, etc.