Is My Briggs Out Of Time?

jeff902

Forum Newbie
Threads
sgkent, thanks for replying back.
I didn't see or smell any signs of fuel in it.I can always check again.
The old mower no doubt sat in a garage or shop,etc. The red paint and plastic is too bright to have ever been weathered much.
You bring up a very good point concerning the muffler. It was probably 20 years ago maybe longer. I had a 2 year old weedeater that wouldn't start after sitting for the winter. I was stumped trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. It had fire and fuel but would not even try to start. I had ran out of things to check.
As a last resort,I checked the muffler for blockage. Bingo...........those mud daubers you mentioned had the muffler packed tight. Once cleaned,it fired right up.

I'm pretty sure the old push mower won't be that simple.
I might just open the bottom of the engine tomorrow to see what that plastic camshaft looks like.

I bought this mower just a few days ago for 15 bucks. The owner said it ran last year but wouldn't start this year. I'm thinking it would possibly be carb trouble,magneto,or something simple. For 15 bucks,what do I have to lose,ya know.

Something just occurred to me as I'm typing this reply.It hit me like a ton of bricks,so to speak.
Whenever I brought the mower home,I took the engine cover off to just to see if there were any mouse nests or anything that had accumulated over the winter.
What I did find was a chewed up black plastic ring wedged beside the flywheel. After pulling it out,it was pretty easy to assume it was some to type of cover that originally snapped around the starter rewind.
If that piece wedged in there while the engine was running,that may be the culprit that started this trouble.
Sorry for the long post