Is it possible to remove a flywheel with just a crescent wrench?

TJRoss

Threads
  • / Is it possible to remove a flywheel with just a crescent wrench?
None of the sockets I have for my ratchet are big enough for the bolt on my flywheel. I don't want to go out and buy more sockets just for this. I have been trying to figure out ways to get it off with a just crescent wrench but it doesn't seem possible. Is it possible?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
depending on the engine, you probably could.... might need to slide a pipe over the end of it for more leverage.
what's the engine model #? someone here might know the size of the nut/bolt.

TJRoss

Threads
depending on the engine, you probably could.... might need to slide a pipe over the end of it for more leverage.
what's the engine model #? someone here might know the size of the nut/bolt.
It's really just that I have to use a wrench vertically and going down with it because the bolt is in circular cup and that's in the way of getting in there the way you are supposed to do it (horizontally). Not sure if you can get enough leverage doing that.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
oh, yeah, that's probably a no can do.
It's really just that I have to use a wrench vertically and going down with it because the bolt is in circular cup and that's in the way of getting in there the way you are supposed to do it (horizontally). Not sure if you can get enough leverage doing that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you thought about going to your local auto parts store and asking about their tool loaning program? Many of them just ask for a deposit, which is returned when you bring back the tool.

TJRoss

Threads
You can buy individual sockets. They're not that expensive.
Yeah I looked into it and that's what I'm going to do. I just didn't want to leave my house.