Is electric the way to go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanizm

Threads
If electric mowers are a good idea, you'd see the commercial lawn services folks buying them up. I can guarantee that this won't happen.

adam1991

Threads
The better battery powered mowers seems to be made by Toro. They know how to cut grass, mulch and bag. Not sure if Makita, etc. does.
This right here. It's 100% a correct statement.

Toro is a mower first, foremost, and primarily. Those guys built the mower they know how to build. Then they replaced the fuming spinny thing with a non-fuming spinny thing.

The big advantage is, they're using all the same parts and technologies they've used for decades. You want a part? Toro's got it. And the manual that comes with it, spells them all out. And you can buy the parts anywhere.

I was so impressed with my Toro battery mower, I then went and got a battery snowblower to replace my 20 year old 2 cycle unit that was getting long in the tooth.

adam1991

Threads
The better battery powered mowers seems to be made by Toro. They know how to cut grass, mulch and bag. Not sure if Makita, etc. does.
This right here. It's 100% a correct statement.

Toro is a mower first, foremost, and primarily. Those guys built the mower they know how to build. Then they replaced the fuming spinny thing with a non-fuming spinny thing.

The big advantage is, they're using all the same parts and technologies they've used for decades. You want a part? Toro's got it. And the manual that comes with it, spells them all out. And you can buy the parts anywhere.

I was so impressed with my Toro battery mower, I then went and got a battery snowblower to replace my 20 year old 2 cycle one. Worked fantastic in heavy snow, very pleasantly surprised.

adam1991

Threads
Yes, love my cordless drill but they're not power tools. Nobody is going to mow 10 acres, snow blow a 200 foot driveway or cut 6 cords of wood with electric.
Is that the only definition of who needs equipment?

The guy that has a small lawn but wants to keep it neat--does he have to have all the same equipment that your mythical "guy who has to mow 10 acres/snow blow a 200 foot driveway/cut 6 cords of wood" has? Or is he allowed to have entirely different equipment that meets HIS needs?

Wheels

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will bring this back to the original post.
I have a shop for 9 years now. Fixing lawn and snow along with some new sales.
I do sell a battery machine (no reason at this time as to what brand)
One major thing to think about is profit. I am lucky to get 10-15% profit on new sales. Once the machine goes out the door I usually don't see the customer too much. Unlike with fueled machines were they do need tune up and repairs.
I do repair the electric that I sell. I have heard that others that fix them only fix the machines they sell and not from big box or amazon. The moneys I get, go towards the cost of other machine I bought.
Like so many other parts of business, Amazon and big box is not good for us. Although I do fix and repair. And I do have good customer contact and support.
One other good thing to think about is that customers will trade in there machines for battery. I have done well on selling used machines.
Many people are switching to battery. It is not for everyone by any means. I will sell to what the customer needs and will always push gas on those that have that need. There are many limits to battery just know how to sell it.
Do research and find the right battery machines to sell. There are a lot of videos comparing one brand to the other.
There are many good brands, I needed to have machines for all seasons and a variety of products.
My brand may have the best lawnmowers but not the best chainsaws. You need to take the good with the bad.
Check warranties on machines and how much support there is for you. For me I found the resources to be able to learn how to fix my machines was well done.
If I had to run my business with just battery as my product line. I would not be in business. They may be different if you lived in California were that's there only choice.

adam1991

Threads
I think the consumer will be in for a shock when he see's how much good electric stuff costs
See, that's the problem. Joe Sixpack has champagne tastes but wants to pay for a can of Bud. He's ripe for the fooling.

Me, I'm too poor to buy cheap. Some stuff costs big money for a reason. Find it, buy once, cry once, and move on.

Texas1step

Threads
Just more green agenda being shoved down our throat in my opinion ,
Doubtful any battery powered mower or other lawn equipment will hold up for very long , then they've got you over a barrel for parts etc.
Have you ever considered that the gas and oil companies are just energy companies and they are investing in. What is most profitable Electric Power?

Texas1step

Threads
Just more green agenda being shoved down our throat in my opinion ,
Doubtful any battery powered mower or other lawn equipment will hold up for very long , then they've got you over a barrel for parts etc.
Have you ever considered that the gas and oil companies are just energy companies and they are investing in. What is most profitable Electric Power?

Texas1step

Threads
Just moving our destruction of the Earth to other places. Looks great on the surface until you dig in and see all the extra pollution created in the mining and disposal after the batteries fail. Currently recycling the batteries costs more than the new batteries so everybody just piling them up.

If anybody even remembers the Space 1999 series. It supposedly happen that the discard waste exploded and sent out Moon out its orbit. But of right now the Russians are destroying a beautiful county called Ukraine just to make more room in their country. It now looks several nuclear bombs have gone off. Even they succeed what is left is waste dump.

And yes these battery powered equipment will hold us up on new parts or we have to just dump the machines and buy new. Sorta like our ink printers where the replacement ink cartridges cost as much as a new printer.
Electric motors or more powerful last longer they're lighter. They cost less to produce and a battery technology is moving away from lithium into graphene Which is less polluting last longer and holds more energy.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
You are 100% correct. We have a bunch of America haters in DC. They are destroying this country one day at a time. Remember how good this country was doing under Trump? If we don't stop Biden & his clown show all of us will be living under the CCP if we already aren't. Remember when gasoline was $1.86 a gallon? The country was booming like never before under Trump. I don't care if you hate the man the numbers don't lie. The 2020 election was rigged and the Green Deal is being shoved down our throats. Sorry if this was too political.
Yes, probably too political for a lawn mower forum. 😅😅😅
A whole forum of small engines not running correct and still wondering if people will switch?
You make a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.