Is electric the way to go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Conley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm betting you are 100% correct. I'll not start any political debate here, but I will simply say that our current leadership in the White House doesn't seem to have a grasp on reality. The only thing I'll use as evidence of that is the fact that they have stopped oil and natural gas exploration and new drilling in the US of A to "save the environment", but then turned right around and increased our import of crude from other countries. So, I'm guessing they think that the environment can only be destroyed by citizens of the US of A, or they think that the environment can be destroyed on one half of the planet while not affecting the other half. Brilliant thinking. LOL!
You are 100% correct. We have a bunch of America haters in DC. They are destroying this country one day at a time. Remember how good this country was doing under Trump? If we don't stop Biden & his clown show all of us will be living under the CCP if we already aren't. Remember when gasoline was $1.86 a gallon? The country was booming like never before under Trump. I don't care if you hate the man the numbers don't lie. The 2020 election was rigged and the Green Deal is being shoved down our throats. Sorry if this was too political.

RevB

Threads
I've been seeing more and more battery powered mowers and trimmers in my neck of the woods. I just got a a Stihl chainsaw in to prep for sale by the owner. He told me he has switched his mower, trimmer, blower, and hedge trimmers to battery powered devices already and plans to buy a small, battery powered chainsaw as soon as he sells this Stihl.

So, is that something we should all be looking to add to our regular repairs? Should we be stocking a couple of battery powered mowers? And my big question is, should we be learning to repair these things? I'm just getting my little repair business going and I'm wondering what the near future holds. Then, if we should be considering learning how to repair this type of equipment, where do we find courses?

Actually, I have been referring to "we" and the truth us I really mean me. LOL! Are there any repair courses available now? I'd be interested in an online course or a good, old fashioned, book type course. If anybody knows of one, or more, I'd be grateful for the info.
Make sure you can get parts, l blade carriers, wear items. Kobalt been really bad about this.

Keith N

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 58 volt AEG chainsaw last winter ... it's my primary device for getting firewood on the small semi rural acreage I live on in Australia and I haven't picked up my Stihl since. I think the technology will get there eventually and maybe they can produce a brush cutter with enough power for me ... I know they can't at the moment but I'm not asuming they can't in the near future. This progression to electric power is happening whether we approve of it or not and those who think it's a flash in the pan that will go away are mistaken in my opinion.

k_damore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been seeing more and more battery powered mowers and trimmers in my neck of the woods. I just got a a Stihl chainsaw in to prep for sale by the owner. He told me he has switched his mower, trimmer, blower, and hedge trimmers to battery powered devices already and plans to buy a small, battery powered chainsaw as soon as he sells this Stihl.

So, is that something we should all be looking to add to our regular repairs? Should we be stocking a couple of battery powered mowers? And my big question is, should we be learning to repair these things? I'm just getting my little repair business going and I'm wondering what the near future holds. Then, if we should be considering learning how to repair this type of equipment, where do we find courses?

Actually, I have been referring to "we" and the truth us I really mean me. LOL! Are there any repair courses available now? I'd be interested in an online course or a good, old fashioned, book type course. If anybody knows of one, or more, I'd be grateful for the i
It's true that they are more harmful to the environment in their initial build due to the mining and manufacturing processes. But just like the Tesla and other EVs, they will overcome that pollution index # over time, they say a Tesla will cross that border around 50-60,000 miles. Battery technology is still too expensive for most and they hate the heat.
That said, I bought an Ego 18" electric chainsaw and that thing is a monster, nothing stops it, really surprised and happy with that compared to the standard 18" gas one's I've owned in the past.
The John Deere Z370R ET (electric tractor) will certainly be a topic once it's officially available, they are taking pre-orders now but they claim it can run for 2 hours on a charge. At $6,400, it should make me breakfast and make my bed but I'm eager to see one in person. You can feel good that the batteries also come with a 5 year warranty, but I can't find out how much the replacements will cost, but by then they'll be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

Gentleman Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads

Actually, I have been referring to "we" and the truth us I really mean me. LOL! Are there any repair courses available now? I'd be interested in an online course or a good, old fashioned, book type course. If anybody knows of one, or more, I'd be grateful for the info.
In 2020 I bought a Ryobi 42” 100ah zero-turn electric riding lawnmower. The first year it was a beast — very fast and powerful and would go for at least 90 minutes. The second year it still cut well, but the power lasted about an hour. The third year the power would last only about 30 minutes. It has four batteries, each retailing for $250. I sold it for peanuts (it originally cost just over $4000) and bought a gas-powered model. I live in upstate New York. Only used it in the Summer. Kept it plugged-in all Winter in an unheated garage, which might have made a difference. Doesn’t matter - I won’t buy another electric mower.
If you’re interested in servicing, batteries and battery changing might be an opportunity.

k_damore

Forum Newbie
Threads
In 2020 I bought a Ryobi 42” 100ah zero-turn electric riding lawnmower. The first year it was a beast — very fast and powerful and would go for at least 90 minutes. The second year it still cut well, but the power lasted about an hour. The third year the power would last only about 30 minutes. It has four batteries, each retailing for $250. I sold it for peanuts (it originally cost just over $4000) and bought a gas-powered model. I live in upstate New York. Only used it in the Summer. Kept it plugged-in all Winter in an unheated garage, which might have made a difference. Doesn’t matter - I won’t buy another electric mower.
If you’re interested in servicing, batteries and battery changing might be an opportunity.
I guess anyone looking to go electric should read the warranty's fine print. The Deere warranty for 5 years may be a game changer and maybe their Li-On batteries are bigger. Hopefully by the time you need new one's the technology will be more advanced and the auto industry keeps upgrading to newer battery technology due to size, weight and longevity.

Last edited:

tcpuccio1

Threads
I've been kicking around getting a new machine for the past year but have not pulled the plug i really want a durable rugged gas 21" machine to replace my nearly 20 year old that is long in the tootth.. looking around if it were to go battery powered it would more than likely be the snapper machine. really not a fan of any EV I'm a domestic car dealer technician and I can tell you first hand EV vehicles are a BAD idea and not tested long enough to be shoved down your throat! The battery technology in a small power equipment has been around longer and far more simple. I would feel a bit safer with them then an 800V vehicle battery!

nc10

Threads
I purchased a 56V 20" Ego brand push mower an trimmer with 2 batteries in 2014 (at Home Depot then, now sold at Lowes), and a EGO chainsaw 2-3 years later, so I have 3 56V batteries. All still running fine. Despite good reviews, I think the trimmer is terrible, the line feed just doesn't work for me. The mower and chainsaw are quite good. Full disclosure, also have a gas powered self propelled push mower also. I had two houses for about 1.5 years in 2015/16, had a self propelled gas mower at a house with a sloped yard and the ego mower at the house with the flat yard, both ~ 3/4 acre. Was finally able to sell one house after I moved, but kept both mowers.

90% of the time, I use the self propelled gas mower in sloped part of the yard, the electric in the flat part w/ trees, bushes, flower beds. The EGO mower is easier to push around trees, flower beds, though I could get by with onein either area. The EGO is quieter, lighter, easier to maneuver, the only one my wife will use. If I've waited too long to mow, or I'm not patient enough to let the grass dry completely, the batteries discharge relatively quickly, and I'm better off using the gas mower, but not to the point its a significant issue. If I am hauling my mower, its the lighter, easier to pick up EGO mower every time. The EGO mower can fold up the handle and stand upright in my garage. Easy blade sharpen/replacement. If my gas can is low, I just use the electric. Don't have to worry about draining gas in winter, changing oil.

Small combustion engines lack emission controls, NOx, CO, etc a relatively more important health risk, not immediately hazardous, so easy to ignore. Drive towards GHG reductions will continue to be a global trend. Both will drive customer perception and regulations. Little doubt, market share of electric lawn equipment will keep growing.

To me, the selection of gas mowers is still greater, there are many more inexpensive gas models, they are more widely available, will be that way for a couple more years, but not much more. The market for electric mowers has also become well served by Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Amazon, etc over the last 5 years or so. But, I'd think any seller would want to cover the growth area of the market, ie electric.

Batteries don't seem to be coming down much, I hope that changes as the supply chain gets built out, seems a few years away. Given the share of the overall mower cost, I expect if you need to replace a battery every 5-10 years, shoppers will be comparing that option to buying a new mower with new batteries each time.

jbugj

Threads
Look at it this way...you see mowers many decades old still being used that are gas. With electric, we all know manufacturers will 'obsolete' the batteries after the machines are just a few years old. Its happening with power tools. And those cheap 'replacement' batteries you get on the internet aren't worth crap. They use the lowest quality cells in those.

Bottom line, your battery powered equipment really is throw-away after not so many years.

nbpt100

Threads
My opinion is that Washington DC is just completely filled idiot politicians of all parties. As long as they are fighting a cookie like a bunch of spoil brats we are never going get anything done by them. So I have just been ignoring them and take care business around here without them

I purchased a 56V 20" Ego brand push mower an trimmer with 2 batteries in 2014 (at Home Depot then, now sold at Lowes), and a EGO chainsaw 2-3 years later, so I have 3 56V batteries. All still running fine. Despite good reviews, I think the trimmer is terrible, the line feed just doesn't work for me. The mower and chainsaw are quite good. Full disclosure, also have a gas powered self propelled push mower also. I had two houses for about 1.5 years in 2015/16, had a self propelled gas mower at a house with a sloped yard and the ego mower at the house with the flat yard, both ~ 3/4 acre. Was finally able to sell one house after I moved, but kept both mowers.

90% of the time, I use the self propelled gas mower in sloped part of the yard, the electric in the flat part w/ trees, bushes, flower beds. The EGO mower is easier to push around trees, flower beds, though I could get by with onein either area. The EGO is quieter, lighter, easier to maneuver, the only one my wife will use. If I've waited too long to mow, or I'm not patient enough to let the grass dry completely, the batteries discharge relatively quickly, and I'm better off using the gas mower, but not to the point its a significant issue. If I am hauling my mower, its the lighter, easier to pick up EGO mower every time. The EGO mower can fold up the handle and stand upright in my garage. Easy blade sharpen/replacement. If my gas can is low, I just use the electric. Don't have to worry about draining gas in winter, changing oil.

Small combustion engines lack emission controls, NOx, CO, etc a relatively more important health risk, not immediately hazardous, so easy to ignore. Drive towards GHG reductions will continue to be a global trend. Both will drive customer perception and regulations. Little doubt, market share of electric lawn equipment will keep growing.

To me, the selection of gas mowers is still greater, there are many more inexpensive gas models, they are more widely available, will be that way for a couple more years, but not much more. The market for electric mowers has also become well served by Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Amazon, etc over the last 5 years or so. But, I'd think any seller would want to cover the growth area of the market, ie electric.

Batteries don't seem to be coming down much, I hope that changes as the supply chain gets built out, seems a few years away. Given the share of the overall mower cost, I expect if you need to replace a battery every 5-10 years, shoppers will be comparing that option to buying a new mower with new batteries each time.
I believe HD has said they want to eliminate the sale of ICE mowers by a certain date. The fact is most People with smaller yards like battery powered over gas. The people on here tend to fix gas equipment and have their bias.

All of the tool manufacturers have jumped into the ODPE battery powered arena. Just look at your battery powered tools. How much does a replacement battery cost vs. the tool itself. That is why they jumped in. The better battery powered mowers seems to be made by Toro. They know how to cut grass, mulch and bag. Not sure if Makita, etc. does.
There are no easy answers. Climate needed to be addressed earlier. We now have droughts and people are mowing less. People are putting in smaller lawns becasue of the cost to water. Gas or Battery, mowers are going to be used less and less over time and in less demand over time.

The whole waste stream issue is a totally different issue, but a real one that will need to be addressed.

It is coming, like it or not. The world is changing all the time. Weather you are paying attention to it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.