Is an EGO better?

bjacobs222

Forum Newbie
Threads
I currently have a Toro Recycler 163cc. I have been struggling getting my lawn mowed with it. I have a new house and the lawn is very thick and causes the blades to get caught and the engine stops. I have been heavily considering getting an EGO lawn mower. Does anyone know if there is a EGO model that is more powerful than my 163cc engine?

Thank you!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can’t recommend an electric mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
if your grass is thick enough to choke a petrol mower and your blades are sharp then switching to an electric mower will be a disaster because every time you stall the motor it draws a massive amount of current which causes it to overheat .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
One of my neighbors just switch from Ryobi battery, to gas Toro.
I would check out how the Toro is running, ie: tune up, check RPMs, etc. No reason it should not be able to cut grass effectively unless you are cutting waist high grass.
Battery mowers are for Grandma, West Coast liberals, and hypocrites who think they are saving the planet.

GrumpyCat

Threads
I briefly owned a new but unimpressive Toro Recycler.

I have happily used an EGo 21" SP since 2016. No other poster on this thread has used an electric.

You are not going to shave your thick grass with any mower if the grass is very tall. The solution is to knock an inch or two off at a time, wait a day, repeat.

I think EGo's claim to be equal to gas is a stretch. 5HP perhaps. It is enough to get the job done if one doesn't wait until it is too late to mow. Then put the wheels on high and do what you can.

The EGo runs at 2 speeds, at it's discretion. This makes it easy to know if you are heavily loading the motor. You are not going to hurt the motor, software will shut down if need be. If you hit a tree stump.

A nice feature is how the SP drive is a separate motor. Doesn't depend on blade speed, doesn't depend on the blade running at all. I do not like the new design with a knurled collar in the middle of the handle for controlling speed. The old design with a lever is much easier to set to a known speed. The blade safety interlock buttons embedded in the handle are also a nuisance. A grab bar is much easier to manage.

Was fascinated by the bagging option. The EGo does not have have high suction, little turbulence. Grass blades were laid neatly in a row in the bag. If mulching then one should cut more often.

The mower is quiet enough not to need ear protection. Very light weight too. I never had problems with the plastic deck.

If the motor stays out of high speed you will get about an hour on a 7.5Ah battery. Think it would be a waste to have a model which holds 2 batteries. Takes seconds to swap so why not keep one on charger rather than have to push it around for an hour?

olds394

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sold my EGO and bought a 2012 Recycler in decent shape. The Toro walks all over the EGO.
I was never happy with the EGO, and I tried everything.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I sold my EGO and bought a 2012 Recycler in decent shape. The Toro walks all over the EGO.
I was never happy with the EGO, and I tried everything.
I find it interesting when people try to sell others on battery powered outdoor power equipment. Battery has its place, just in many cases gas is the way to go. I once has a Toro Personal Pace self-propelled mower in 2004, and literally cut down grass that was head high. Try that with a battery mower. Anyway, college football starts today, and my focus is on that. Will be going to Equipment Expo in Louisville, Kentucky October 17-21st, and will see enough battery powered OPE to make me throw up.

shurguywutt

Threads
Friend of mine had an EGO and was always complaining about cutting his grass. I recommended a Honda self propelled and he took my advice. The EGO lost significant battery power over his ownership and it would have a hard time getting the job done. The Honda (they don't make them anymore (n)(n)(n)) had no such issue. When he moved to a new place, he sold his Honda and got a Scag Zero Turn and never looked back LOL

olds394

Forum Newbie
Threads
In EGOs defense my yard is very uneven. The Toro doesn’t care.