Intek 18 hp OHV- #31E777 0443 E1. Loud popping at higher RPM, under load, or hitting bumps(roots, etc.) Video under 1st Reply. Thanks for any input.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Intek 18 hp OHV- #31E777 0443 E1. Loud popping at higher RPM, under load, or hitting bumps(roots, etc.) Video under 1st Reply. Thanks for any input.
Take off your valve cover and check your valve clearances with the engine cold, then rotate the flywheel while watching the valves move up and down, watch for the rocker arms to both move @ the same distance of travel, sometimes the cam lobes can get badly worn down.

Klyonh

Threads
  • / Intek 18 hp OHV- #31E777 0443 E1. Loud popping at higher RPM, under load, or hitting bumps(roots, etc.) Video under 1st Reply. Thanks for any input.
Take off your valve cover and check your valve clearances with the engine cold, then rotate the flywheel while watching the valves move up and down, watch for the rocker arms to both move @ the same distance of travel, sometimes the cam lobes can get badly worn down.

Will do again when I am off work Wednesday, but as I recall when I adjusted the valves I rotated to get to top dead center and they both moved good. I will measure their travel this time and recheck the adjustments. I might have left clearance on exhaust valve a little too tight based off some videos I see on Youtube. Thank you for helping. After all this if not fixed guess I will just do a complete tear down to see what's going on. Hoping not the cam lobes to be honest.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't want to set them a little tight, as when the valve gets hot and expands, it will be longer, and the valve will stop sealing, and may be the problem. Also checking the amount of travel is always a good thing, as Briggs had a problem with some of their cams.

Klyonh

Threads
You don't want to set them a little tight, as when the valve gets hot and expands, it will be longer, and the valve will stop sealing, and may be the problem. Also checking the amount of travel is always a good thing, as Briggs had a problem with some of their cams.

Will do thank you. And I truly appreciate your help. Need to get this going badly without torpedoing the engine.

Klyonh

Threads

Found my problem. Exhaust valve not completely seated. Slow leaks down when chamber filled with Chem-Dip. Will get a valve lapping tool today. Get valves all cleaned up. Inspect for any damage to seat which I dont see any right now. Reseat the valves and recheck. So far nothing appears out of wack except the slow leak down.

Attachments

• DFC5D97A-0881-4944-9431-FB2B5B7D6618.jpeg
    DFC5D97A-0881-4944-9431-FB2B5B7D6618.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 7

Klyonh

Threads
Pretty nasty black in here though.

Attachments

• D2DF5844-0D1B-498D-BF71-4A7905FDED54.jpeg
    D2DF5844-0D1B-498D-BF71-4A7905FDED54.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 10

Tinkerer200

Threads
Fish is old school like me, nut on some, solenoid on others, same thing and I agree, sounds like water in fuel system. Don't confuse people, that does not have an automatic choke, it has a manually activated choke engaged by the final movement of the throttle control.
Walt Conner

Klyonh

Threads
Fish is old school like me, nut on some, solenoid on others, same thing and I agree, sounds like water in fuel system. Don't confuse people, that does not have an automatic choke, it has a manually activated choke engaged by the final movement of the throttle control.
Walt Conner

New fuel tank, lines, filter, carb, and carb drained. Still did it. Yes I understand about the choke. Thank you for the help. I think after decarbing and reseating the valves it will be good as new. Lot of crap around intake valve and some carb on top end just around the exhaust valves seal. Can that be changed? My kit came with seal for the intake valve but not for the exhaust valve. Hmm...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The valve guides are the same length & set the same depth into the head
Check them before doing too much as one may have shifted

Klyonh

Threads
The valve guides are the same length & set the same depth into the head
Check them before doing too much as one may have shifted

Mine look completely different from exhaust to intake. Here, take a look.

Attachments

• E68BC6F7-AAF4-4A3A-BD8B-96C6CD815DF6.jpeg
    E68BC6F7-AAF4-4A3A-BD8B-96C6CD815DF6.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 10