J jeepfxr Member Jun 23, 2013 #1 I just got this Scotts rider and the engine really smokes when it finally does start. Are these OHV engines known for bad valve guides and is it worth doing anything with.? The machine is a 42" cut and is super clean otherwise. Thanks .
I just got this Scotts rider and the engine really smokes when it finally does start. Are these OHV engines known for bad valve guides and is it worth doing anything with.? The machine is a 42" cut and is super clean otherwise. Thanks .
ILENGINE Lawn Royalty Jun 23, 2013 #2 I would put money on a blown head gasket and not the valve guides, which are a minor inconvenience if a problem at all.
I would put money on a blown head gasket and not the valve guides, which are a minor inconvenience if a problem at all.
J jeepfxr Member Jun 23, 2013 #3 Thanks , That is where I will start then. Do you know what a good compression reading would be ?
J jeepfxr Member Jun 23, 2013 #5 Okay better than 90 PSI compression. I'll check that first. Thanks again.