intake lift rod not moving that much

Michael_Gee

Threads
I have a B&S Model 331777 for my Craftsman 917.28822. I noticed the other day that it was running a little rough, mostly at full throttle. Power would dip from time to time. I took off the valve cover, pulled the spark plug, and rotated the crack shaft both lifters moved but the intake was barely moving compared to the exhaust. I checked the lift rods and they were fine. I also checked the gap thinking this was the original issue and they both still seemed fine. My only guess is the intake came lob wore down but I can't imagine that's really the issue so I'm looking for more plausible ideas before I open the thing up.

Thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Let me ask a dumb question. You saying the rocker furtherest away from flywheel is barely moving?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cam lobes are only induction hardened so the hard facing is about 0.002" thick
It does not take much in the way of dust or grit in the oil to grind through it
Once the hard facing is breeched the cam lobe will wear round quite quickly .
Every now & then I see one like that.
However much more common is the inlet valve guide shifting in the head due to over heating .
The valves springs & guides are identical so should sit at the same heights off the floor of the rocker housing .
At the firing position the rockers should be parallel to each other .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It more likely the op is referring to the exhaust valve rocker. The 31 and 33 series will run with the exhaust valve barely opening. Take the air cleaner filter and they will sound like there is no muffler. I have exhaust lobe worn nearly round. This week I had one that sounded like but it was not a worn lobe but a rocker stud backed nearly all the way out. It had over 1/2 inch of clearance.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what you are saying you have a worn out cam lobe on the intake valve. You can check the clearance on the valves and when the lobe is worn out it won't effect the clearance. Since there is no wear on that portion of the cam since there is no pressure on it from the valve spring.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
seems along with the ACR issues on the cams, i see several with rounded exhaust lobes...

Tinkerer200

Threads
A lot of these junk built up from segments camshafts had cam lobes which were not properly hardened. This was never a problem with the one pc. forged steel camshafts used for years by B&S. But they no doubt save a few cents with these plus they get a lot from selling replacements.
Walt Conner

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would cost a lot more to forge the cams and a lot more material.

Walt 2002

Threads
It would cost a lot more to forge the cams and a lot more material.
I doubt it would cost all that much more when they already had the equipment and the one item verses inventorying 4 different items to make a segmented camshaft. The big savings was having it made in China with Chinese quality.
Walt Conner