Installed Tach on M-Series and Dura force ,video; also cutting tall grass with Dura F

lewb

Threads
  • / Installed Tach on M-Series and Dura force ,video; also cutting tall grass with Dura F
I was curious how many RPMs each mower is turning at full throttle. The dura force sounded like it was turning more than the m-series. The dura force spec is 2900 +- 300. The m-series is 3100 to 3300 full throttle. The m-series is much more quiet than the dura force you can hear the grass being cut. I was kind of amazed that they both turn the same rpm. I only mounted the tach to the dura force to see how much the R's drop when motor is loaded. First it dropped to 2950-2900. After motor was run for a bit the loaded R's were 3000. Also cutting 18" grass the R's did drop to 2650 at times until the grass cleared from the deck. I was really impressed how well the mulching fan kept the deck from building up with clippings while cutting the tall wet grass. The M-series deck before when I cut the same kind of grass did not do so well, the deep portion would build up with clippings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKIBe3vYCk

jp1961

Threads
  • / Installed Tach on M-Series and Dura force ,video; also cutting tall grass with Dura F
Hi Lewis,

Just curious, where did you get that tach? I've used a model airplane tach, but probably not the best choice if you want to keep all 10 fingers,,,lol.

Jeff

lewb

Threads
Hi Lewis,

Just curious, where did you get that tach? I've used a model airplane tach, but probably not the best choice if you want to keep all 10 fingers,,,lol.

Jeff

Amazon, 13.00; has sealed battery, the cord was just long enough to mount, I zip tied the end around the spark plug cap, pretty easy, also an hour meter as well.

javjacob

Threads
Do you have to modify anything to run the tach? I would like to get one just to see what RPM all my mowers, weed eater, chainsaw, ATV... ect run at.

lewb

Threads
I should have showed that on video; you just wrap end of cord around plug cap, you have to set tach for 1 cylinder two stroke that is in the instructions. To do what you want to do I would recommend using tape of some kind to hold wire around cap, I used zip ties but if you are going to use for other application tape would be easier to remove and re-install.

Last edited: