Info on Walk Behind String Trimmers / Brush Mowers???

Newaygo1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Info on Walk Behind String Trimmers / Brush Mowers???
I am in te market for a Walk Behind Brush Mower but most are the large commercial ones and are out of my budget I have found a coupple similar in design Ardisam, Husqvarna, Powermate and Ariens. But they seem to be made out of plastic as to the guard that is underneath that is to stop debris from flying back and at you. Also seems the String that is used is not much in quality because they seem to quickly break and even one manufacturer suggests leaving the new string in water till you use it. I am looking for something to replace an old side discharge push mower for 20 arces I have and need to keep the grass / weeds down. Wondering if these are worth the money or if I need to just buy another Side Discharge push mower. Seems some like them and others don't. They suugest they can cut large stuff but when parts are made out of plastic hard to see how well it can work in a field with rocks and etc being thrown up.

Does anyone use one and which one and why??? The Ardisams seems to be the only one that has a lever to enegage the trimmer head the others don't. Never seen one and the the few don't have much of information on them.

Thanks,
Newaygp1

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOW if you have been mowing 20 acres with a side discharge push mower, You Must be is very good shape....
I'm sure I would not have done that when I was in peak condition....

Those that I have seen claim to be trimmers and mowers... But, they don't do either job well.
For smallish hard to reach or maneuver a regular mower, you may justify the short comings...
For any larger space, you need a proper mower... With blades made of tempered metal....
And for 20 acres of rock strewn space you need something on the back of a larger tractor...
Either a rotary shredder or a ruff cut flail.... :smile:KennyV

BTW WELCOME to LMF....

Newaygo1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't use a mower to cut all 20 acres just about 5 of the property. But besides that I guess these walk behinds are not worth the $. I have a regular string trimmer but after carrying it for a while I get tired of doing so and with large areas to cut 3 & 4 ft grass and weeds it is hard to do. As for the large more commercial models I have heard good an bad about a few and and agin I don't have 3K to spend on one and the lowend cost ones are just that low end models. Plus te fact that most walk behind mowers today have the pull start cord strung out across the mower though a safety requirement the cord gets caught up and cut and is useless and having to rplace it is just not worth the tiome and money. Guess I will just have to buy a new engine for my side discharge mowert and hope I get a decent engine that will work with the deck I currently have. The walk behind string mowers are up to the task... The way it goes today hate the cord exposed and most are made that way so you can hold the required safety levers to start it I am the ole school and won't buy an engine that has all these safety things most walk behind mowers have today... Just sad they have to make them like that.

Thanks Keeny V but your comments aren't good for info...

Reagrds Newaygo1

MikeInParadise

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a murray push behind string trimmer. I used it a lot when the property was really rough. I have lent it to a friend this year.

They work good on grasses. Twiggs are so-so depending on the cord you put in it. The best strings are precut that I get at the home depot made by Ariens.

If the terrain is really rough I found it easier to pull in backwards then trying to push it. Also I reversed the wheel supports to make it stand up higher off the ground as I was using it in really rough areas.

I also have an Echo commercial Bicycle handled brush cutter which I used more in the areas where there are twiggs.

I always wear a helmet with face shied when using this as stuff gets thrown all over. WHat is nice is that these are very quiet compared to the 2 cycle trimmers.

Also does a great job as a first cut on overgrown areas or cutting hay.

Attachments

• MurrayTrimmerInTallGrass.JPG
    MurrayTrimmerInTallGrass.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 11

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
do you have a rental yard?....testing some out might give you a better idea of what your looking for:wink: