Info on stens shipping

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well all I know is as cost goes up for shops like mine we are having to raise our rates to cover these increase costs. And it is looking like I will need to raise my labor rates again.

Most of my larger vendors have raise their sales prices and minimum free ship level to cover these costs which is also adding to cost for the customer to buy parts. RBI even added a small handling charge on all orders, plus they will not ship b/o items until my next order. I have no idea on Gardner now that screw up their website and yet to have straighten it out. I done lost over $10K in engine sales because of them as I can't even get a straight answer from my sales rep.

And referring to actual parts cost some of the parts have more than triple in cost in the last five years. I just ordered a part that I paid $8.50 back in '22 and now it is over $27

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have turned down work on some equipment because I just didn't want to be bothered chasing parts. I don't do anything on transmissions or hydros. I don't have space to store mowers waiting weeks for parts. And OEM parts are ridiculous. Just had to order 2 OEM idlers for a 2002 cub cadet. $55 apiece plus shipping and $60 for a belt. $175 in parts plus $50 labor. So customer needs to spend $225 plus tax on a 22 year old mower just to get 2 idlers and a deck belt changed and I am clearing like $20 after spending an hour chasing parts. The dealers in the area won't touch it due to age.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have turned down work on some equipment because I just didn't want to be bothered chasing parts. I don't do anything on transmissions or hydros. I don't have space to store mowers waiting weeks for parts. And OEM parts are ridiculous. Just had to order 2 OEM idlers for a 2002 cub cadet. $55 apiece plus shipping and $60 for a belt. $175 in parts plus $50 labor. So customer needs to spend $225 plus tax on a 22 year old mower just to get 2 idlers and a deck belt changed and I am clearing like $20 after spending an hour chasing parts. The dealers in the area won't touch it due to age.
My average repair bill this year has exceeded $350 with several going into the $600 range.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just curious which 2002CC and which idlers it was.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cub 2518 the 2 right angle mule drive pulleys 756 3045A. Installed the stens equivalent ones and they lasted an hour before they cracked at the rivets and destroyed the belt. TWICE! Then ordered the OEM welded ones. Long story short I lost my ass on that one. Doing the right thing for the customer I ate the Stens pulleys and 2 belts from stens and all the extra labor. So I lost at least $200 in parts and uncharged labor to make it right for the customer. If I get out to the shop I will get a Pic of the failed pulleys.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Did you report the failure to Stens as they normal stand behind their products. But now of course I am a Stens dealer too.

Also verify the belt length as Stens might sent the wrong belt.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Labor sounds cheap a lot of shops have a minimum labor charge of at least one hour.