Ignition Coil Gapping

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
no question that Frankenstein repairs are a problem. The nightmare begins when something breaks or keeps wearing out and someone wants that fixed.

Whalensdad

Threads
Yes there plenty of rig jobs out there. And they frustrate the **** out of me of how they just keep getting by with things.

Personally I have always try to keep thing as they are intended as I think of the next tech beside myself that may get my repaired equipment later.

But lately I have someone in the area that I patching things up and then I got to straighten the mess out. Just had two of those crappy repairs to show up in my shop. It takes at least twice as long as I have to undo all the rig work before I can repair the equipment.

I got a Kawasaki 3010 Mule here that I have already put in over 24 hrs of labor to get it back to good condition. Even then it came with a water leak due to a warp part. Plus I just reworked the parking brakes yesterday finding intentionally bent parts on the left rear. Hopefully I can get the CVT drive back on today before the rain gets here.

I had to stop and fix a Husqvarna 455 Rancher for a customer. Simple repair of replacing primer, fuel lines, re-tune the carburetor, and sharpen the chain but still takes time to do.
I should have done my research before buying this. I was in a hurry last year and just made sure it ran. I looked for oil leaks but didn't inspect the engine closely. The label on the mower said B&S 17.5 HP Intek and it was advertised as a 17.5 HP mower. I didn't know what to look for and didn't realize it was not an Intek engine until I got home and went to purchase a new air filter for it. The seller wouldn't take it back, and I wasn't going to go to small claims court over it. I'm a handy guy and do a lot of my own auto repair work, so it's no big deal to do my own repairs. I had a spark plug wire lying around so I just rewired the original Tecumsah coil. I'll put it in tomorrow or Thursday and see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Whalensdad

Threads
So let me give you all the final update. I ordered a replacement tecumsah coil. While I was waiting I thought I would try to drill out the Kohler replacement to make it fit. That was a BIG waste of time. I mangled the coil and ruined it. The one thing I realized was the the coil wire was much longer than what the tecumsah came with, so I removed it (so not a total loss). The new coil came in and it LOOKED like it was the same as the old coil, but LOOKS can be deceiving. The metal bars were now too long and I couldn't mount it and have the fly wheel turn. UGH... So I took the old coil, removed the bad coil wire, put in the salvaged coil wire. Reinstalled my rebuilt/cleaned carb, old coil, and after getting fuel into the carb, it started right up. Next year I'll be rebuilding the deck, NOT :)