Identify honda engine carb

twisted99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman mower with honda engine I inherited with house we bought has worked OK until this year.
I want to put a new carb on it but when I put the serial number into

I get "serial number not found"
Anyone have some idea how to identify it?

Attachments

• 20230531_091733 resize.jpg
    20230531_091733 resize.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 4

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First determine model using the model code GJAEA which is GCV160A then using the type number S3A to narrow the spec. Then you get this on the Honda site
1687099353414.png
Using this table look the carburetor for the BB #s but most likely it will the 16100-Z0L-801 carburetor NLA. Should be able to sub the 16100-Z0L-802.

From one my vendors this is what they are have listed for your serial #
1687100416790.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a GCV160A engine that calls for the 16100-Z0L-853 carb

The peparts site only goes back like 10 years. prior to that can be looked up by the dealers on the internal dealer site.

twisted99

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the quick replies!
changing the first number of my s/n from 2 to 3, I at least stopped getting "serial number not found" and it showed the 16100-Z0L-853 as the carb.

Is the "BB" number on the carb?
I've had it off at least 5 times and never noticed it

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes.

And IL I never gotten the IPL look up to work by entering the serial, just the model and my wits which are not much. Looking for a brain upgrade but I keep telling they haven't been invented yet...

twisted99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes.

And IL I never gotten the IPL look up to work by entering the serial, just the model and my wits which are not much. Looking for a brain upgrade but I keep telling they haven't been invented yet...
thanks again. I'll pull the carb, again and confirm. do you have a vendor recommendation?
I was only looking on amazon

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes.

Star on the dealer lookup site. Change equipment to engine and then enter the prefix dash and then the serial number. (GJAEA-2930957) Pops up the model in yellow in this case and then you can choose between models with that serial number and click the next column for the suffix.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is the problem I not have a dealer access. Independent shop owner with only Briggs, Kohler, and Hydro Gear dealer access.

Like other all I have is the https://powerequipment.honda.com/support site and a few retail parts sites. But usually that all I need as I rarely see Honda engine or equipment.

The last two years has been mainly Kawasaki engines.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the problem I not have a dealer access. Independent shop owner with only Briggs, Kohler, and Hydro Gear dealer access.

Like other all I have is the https://powerequipment.honda.com/support site and a few retail parts sites. But usually that all I need as I rarely see Honda engine or equipment.

The last two years has been mainly Kawasaki engines.
Can totally agree on the Kawasaki engines. Seems like half the mowers i have worked on the last couple years have been Kaw. Haven't even put in a parts order with the Kohler distributor yet this year. Just not enough parts needed to pay the freight when I can add them to another order with another distributor with less discount but can combine them with other manufacturers. And I would say half of the briggs parts that I have ordered I have resold to another independent shop. He had purchased the last 8 camshafts that I have stocked. haven't installed a single one this year, but he has purchased 4 this year.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had to order a Kohler a couple weeks ago. It lower cost from OPE Engines than my distributor when you add in the $15 shipping charge for under $225 orders.