IC opposed twin

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think the governor needs reset. All linkage is correct, I have no throttle control and the butterfly in the carb sits at WOT unless I manually move it.?
I'm not missing anything am i?

42A707-2653-e1

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
After setting the governor to its static setting and you still don't have throttle control then time to replace the governor gear.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the governor needs reset. All linkage is correct, I have no throttle control and the butterfly in the carb sits at WOT unless I manually move it.?
I'm not missing anything am i?

42A707-2653-e1

What did you do to it to come to this problem?
Is this why you are working on it?

Or did you have a bunch of stuff removed on this while working on a different issue? I mean, are yoiu thinking that it is due to something not put back on correctly? Did you remove the carb for a rebuild, and now have this problem.?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It sat in a shed for 10 years or so.
It had this problem from the start, so I just manually moved the butterfly on the carb while I was working on it. It runs good, just no throttle control and when off, it sits with it at WOT.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go into that a bit.
How did you "move the butterfly". That is likely the problem area.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Go into that a bit.
How did you "move the butterfly". That is likely the problem area.

All I did was un hook the one linkage rod that went from the governor arm to the butterfly.
But like I said, the reason I moved the butterfly is because I have no throttle control. And I didn't want to start a mower that was sitting at WOT.

Tinkerer200

Threads
As said above, Assuming you have reconnected the linkages you removed correctly, IF you have adjusted the static governor setting and still no governor control, then time to go inside as you have an internal governor problem. I can send you a Service Manual IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is not unusual for the throttle to be setting at WOT when the engine is not running. The governor springs and in some cases the governor arm will hold the throttle open when not running.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Okay. adjusted the governor in accordance with the manual Mr. Walt sent me, fired it up, and while running with the throttle handle in what should be the idle position, it seems like its running in the full governed throttle position and if i moved the throttle lever to rev it up i was really concerned Mr and Mrs. connecting rod would put a new window in their house!

i will upload some pictures of all the linkage soon to be 100% certain i have it right....

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I did some more tinkering with it, and I m leaning towards a few parts laying in the sump.....