I need some help with a carburetor

lacrosse_24

Threads
Hey everyone, so I've come across several mowers where I've either cleaned or replaced the carburetor. The mower still wont start on its own. If I use some starting fluid it'll start right up, and keep running without a problem. But if I don't use started fluid, I can't get it to start. I've changed the gas, the spark plug, checked the fuel lines and like I said cleaned and or replaced the carburetor, but I've run into this a couple times with a Honda and some Briggs engines. Any ideas?

dougand3

Threads
Need the engine model #s or just guessing. Sounds like you need a primer bulb to shoot fuel into the intake. Eg: A Briggs 10T502 will never start w/o 3-5 primer shots.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blanket statement you have a lean starting problem. If you want specific things to do to fix the problem you need to give us make of the engine and all numbers. Our ESP is down due to Covid-19 so it was up to you to paint us your best picture of what is going on and what you’ve tried. If no one gets back to you tonight, I’ll be back tomorrow.

lacrosse_24

Threads
I'm not sure what a lean starting problem means, I've had this problem with a couple of engines now. A Honda and a couple of briggs. I just got a Toro (I'm assuming it's a briggs motor) that will start with starting fluid, keep running, but I can't get to start on its own. I'll get the engine number tomorrow.

Coach Gates

Threads
Check a restricted fuel line. Had it happen to me today, rebuilt the carb twice before I discovered the line had deteriorated and collapsed,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We need to know what your are talking about.
A Toro push mower may have a primer bulb on the carb or an auto choke.
A Toro ride on will not have a primer bulb but may have a manual choke which needs resetting or an auto choke .
We have no idea
Toro makes thousands of mowers and hundreds of models.
Some older ones have a safety module that is prone to going bad,. Others have individual safety switchs. Some have relays & some have plain switches.

Last edited:

lacrosse_24

Threads
Check a restricted fuel line. Had it happen to me today, rebuilt the carb twice before I discovered the line had deteriorated and collapsed,

So with the mowers I've worked on, it'll start with started fluid and keep running until I stop it, I wouldn't think that it would keep running with a deteriorated or collapsed fuel line?

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Small air cooled engines carbs either require a primer bulb, or a choke plate (in some cases both) to start. Honda uses the auto choke system. It's best to replace fuel lines (even though externally it looks ok) when doing any carb work as the inside does break down and the rubber bits will foul the carb even though you've rebuilt it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By blanket statement I mean you are not getting enough fuel into the cylinder to start the engine. We need to know which engine, with engine numbers, to give you exact help. Different engines have different fuel systems and to give you good things to look for we need to se what you are talking about. All carbs do the same job, but in different ways.