I need a riding mower that can handle tall weeds

jimigunne

Threads
Good luck, as anything in your price range will not handle anything close to that height. You’re looking for a commercial unit at a minimum of triple what you want to spend.
Then ill have to raise my budget to whatever it takes. 4000.00? 5000.00

jimigunne

Threads
at that price range, i would pay somebody to do it.
That probably 400.00. For 2 acres every 2 weeks during warm months. Maybe even more than that. Its not economically possible.

jimigunne

Threads
at that price range, i would pay somebody to do it.
Of course if i paid somebody to brush hog property thoroughly once, then if we could just use a regular riding mower once a week during growing season, then that would work. Because of gate widths we cant have over a 48 in cut mower. This means just 2 acres takes a lot of time to cut. I and my wife work long hours and doing the whole lot once a week is just too much. The two kids in young teens are too lazy, they take forever to get very little done and even though we pay them, they often have to be threatened. Thats why the johnson grass is full height in many areas, going to seed, before it ever gets cut. So its never going to go away. Im looking into getting a 2WD Orec brush rover. It would cut the tall weeds a whole lot faster and easier that our current DR field and brush mower does.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have an ATV or UTV? You can buy pull behind brush cutters for them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Arhh yes the idle teens
So organise to eat before you and your partner get home
make sure there are no easy meals , frozen pizzas , chips ice cream etc in the freezer then come home every evening and spend a hour cutting the grass.
Then come in proclaim you are too tired to cook & go to bed.
So the kids get the hint that parents are not their servants .
Stop paying them for things they should be willing to do for free.
No matter which way this ends up it will be a win
Either the kids will start acting like a member of the family & do the mowing
Or they will learn to cook good meals from fresh food .
You can take it a bit further like stop washing their cloths which they will think is great till they need to go to a special event and all their cloths stink.
Have a couple of friends who ended up with tailor made kids when they remarried and to a one all of the kids had been spoiled rotten by mum when dad had gone.
Took a long while but some stern dicipline, like charging the kids taxi fares when they wanted to be taken some where , refusing to cook meals till all the days work was done .
The funniest one was a male child who brought a girlfriend home & the parents banned them from the common ares of the house because the son had refused to help with the house cleaning.
He thought the idea of entertaining his girlfriend in his bedroom was a hit.
She stormed out calling him a pig ( amongst some other less polite terms ) .
After that the bed room got cleaned regularly his washing was in the laundry & he found what a vacuum cleaner was used for .

SHB

Threads
Im on a country lot that continually gets covered with johnson grass 5 ft. high. I bought an old cub cadet riding mower once. It was abt 11hp. It was useless for high weeds, would bog down in them. It was only good for a lawn. So my question is whats the least expensive (like 2000.00 max) riding mower that can plough through the tallest johnson grass?
Im on a country lot that continually gets covered with johnson grass 5 ft. high. I bought an old cub cadet riding mower once. It was abt 11hp. It was useless for high weeds, would bog down in them. It was only good for a lawn. So my question is whats the least expensive (like 2000.00 max) riding mower that can plough through the tallest johnson grass?
I got a 60” bad boy ZTR for $2K at an auction, works just fine on Johnson grass, black berry briars, buck bush and grape vines. Have cleared around 15 acres with it. Doubt you will find anything new in your price range that will handle this, but quite a few used machines. Try Facebook marketplace in your area.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
@bertsmobile1
A used 30-40hp tractor and mower will run anywhere from $5,000-$7,000.
Johnsongrass is some really tough stuff.
Suppose it is just the different markets.
Landlord can usually find a 400 or 500 series International for under $ 2000 ( Aust) from a small acreage farm that has fallen prey to urban sprawl .
He will buy a new one every couple of years because he can pick up an old tractor for less than the price of a new tyre and in many cases there will be an old impliment on the back as well .
Thus he now has a dozen tractors and each working one has a dedicated impliment on the back ( front or belly ) which makes things a lot easier.
Only problem is each one needs to be run for 10 minutes or so per month to keep the diesel pump from gumming up & drive the water out of the fuel & oil .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
That probably 400.00. For 2 acres every 2 weeks during warm months. Maybe even more than that. Its not economically possible.
If you're going to mow it every two weeks, it'll only be 5' tall once.

Hire somebody to bale it. If it's good enough to feed to animals, you can sell the bales. If not, pay somebody to haul it off. You've got to get rid of the cuttings.

Then a regular mower can handle it.

wingnut1955

Threads
i wacked that stuff down with an old roof walk behind weed mower hobart still makes them . if using regular mower mow only half of mower with at a time till uou get it knocked down.then mow regularly

Charlie8d

Threads
You will need to go over that a couple of times with a bushhog.