Export thread

I got a new Tiger Cat 2 today, not sure if it is for me

JGGMC

JGGMC

This is my first zero turn mower. The steering maybe too sensitive for me. The manual says to keep the engine at full throttle for mowing. I try to mow slow as I can to learn about it. I am putting the roll bar up.

Sweats

Sweats

No no no!! You're all set, just give it some more time. I got mine last year and started by mowing zigzags all over the place. It was REALLY frustrating. Here's what I learned, and I hope I explain this okay. Pretty much, I use one or the other handle to keep my speed consistent. Then, I use the other to steer. It's just little movements back and forth with the one as the other remains still. By using only one to steer though, you're not jerking the mower around everywhere. It doesn't matter which handle you use to keep your speed or steer. I do that about ninety percent of the time I'm on it and it works well. Give it a shot. Good luck

JGGMC

JGGMC

thanks for the advise.

D

Darryl G

A Zero-Turn mower steers just like a shopping cart. Seriously.

I usually have people I'm teaching to operate one start at half throttle in an open area with the blades off. You don't want to do that for any length of time though because it can overheat the hydros. Then full throttle blades off, and only after they can operate it somewhat proficiently is it time to turn the blades on.

JGGMC

JGGMC

No no no!! You're all set, just give it some more time. I got mine last year and started by mowing zigzags all over the place. It was REALLY frustrating. Here's what I learned, and I hope I explain this okay. Pretty much, I use one or the other handle to keep my speed consistent. Then, I use the other to steer. It's just little movements back and forth with the one as the other remains still. By using only one to steer though, you're not jerking the mower around everywhere. It doesn't matter which handle you use to keep your speed or steer. I do that about ninety percent of the time I'm on it and it works well. Give it a shot. Good luck
that is some good advice using one for turning until I got used to it. It got much easier. thanks I really like it now.

JGGMC

JGGMC

A Zero-Turn mower steers just like a shopping cart. Seriously.

I usually have people I'm teaching to operate one start at half throttle in an open area with the blades off. You don't want to do that for any length of time though because it can overheat the hydros. Then full throttle blades off, and only after they can operate it somewhat proficiently is it time to turn the blades on.
thats for sure starting out in the open is a must. I would have crashed into my vehicles if not learning away from everything. thanks for the help.

D

Darryl G

You're welcome. You can check out this thread I created a while ago for people like you too.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/46882-Zero-Turn-Mower-Operation-and-Safety

jekjr

jekjr

Just keep at it. Before long you will be running it with one hand. It is not nearly as hard as it first appears.

I am not going to tell you to NOT use the roll bar but from hundreds of hours experience operating a Tiger Cat you are more likely to have problems running the roll bar into a tree limb than you are to run it over. We have put some in some incredible places and not rolled one over. I am sure you can but it would be really really hard on flat ground.

If you can't get the hang of it, I can quickly make some room for it here. :laughing:

Seriously tho, it's like anything new, just takes some practice. And delicate touch on the sticks.

Congrats on the New machine.

JGGMC

JGGMC

I've got the hang of it now. I already put 2 hours on it. I will probably put 30 -40 hours on it every year. It should last.

Boobala

Boobala

You'll feel much better after you change your shorts, the first few minutes are the scariest, specially when you're headed towards something, and you go into "PANIC-MODE" .. :laughing:..:laughing:

D

DK35vince

My wife hated our zero turn when we first got it.
After some pointers on what she was doing wrong and some operating time, she got better at driving it very quickly.
Now she loves the zero turn and zips around the yard and trees like she is racing a go cart.

My wife hated our zero turn when we first got it.
After some pointers on what she was doing wrong and some operating time, she got better at driving it very quickly.
Now she loves the zero turn and zips around the yard and trees like she is racing a go cart.

That sounds like my Mrs as well. And I enjoy doing the mowing. When I can beat her to the mower. :laughing:

M

Mad Mackie

In 2008 I bought my first ZTR a Scag Tiger Cub. Having mowed for many years with garden tractors, it took me a long time to get accustomed to a ZTR. In frustration I actually got to the point that I considered selling it thinking that a ZTR wasn't the type of machine that suited me. Fast forward, with about 1,000 hours on it I wouldn't be without a ZTR and now have two. Mowing time has reduced to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time it took me to do the same with garden tractors. I still have garden tractors as ZTRs mow great but don't plow snow at all!
My wife doesn't operate any of my machines as her left arm doesn't function very well.

John R

John R

Steer it like you were pushing a grocery cart

B

bertsmobile1

This is exactly how I teach customers to drive their ZTR's.
Use your writing hand to steer and your other hand to balance the speed.
Forger about one stick forward & the other back, all that will do is dig a hole in your lawn.
Concentrate on the steering hand and just let the other follow to maintain or reduce your speed.

After a few mows you will develop the required muscle memory and will be driving without thought.

D

DK35vince

Steer it like you were pushing a grocery cart
I like this one the best.

jekjr

jekjr

Most of the time I operate with one hand. I take one lever (depending on which hand I am using) and hold it with my thumb and first finger. I use that lever to control speed. Then I use the remaining three fingers to steer with. If you ever learn to do that and allow muscle memory to take over you can run it almost effortlessly. You can then change hands and do the same thing with the other hand........ that way you can rest one hand or the other much of the time.

Also on a turnaround you don't bite so hard that you always have wheels rolling so that they do not mess up the grass.

JGGMC

JGGMC

How often do most people sharpen their Scag mower blades? I was sharpening blades on a walk behind Troy built mower every 4 or 5 hours of use.

jekjr

jekjr

How often do most people sharpen their Scag mower blades? I was sharpening blades on a walk behind Troy built mower every 4 or 5 hours of use.

That is about how we do ours. If we are cutting deep bahia grass mid summer we change them 3 times per day.

We run high lift Oregan blades and try to keep about 20 to 25 sets in the rotation. We hire them sharpened. We have 4 Tiger Cats. Normally run 2 to 3 of them a day depending on the day.

If you don't have a Battery 1/2" drive Impact Wrench it would be to your benefit to get one. With it and a cheap floor jack you can change blades on a Tiger Cat in about 5 minutes. The nuts on top are a game changer. If you ever have a nut tog auld on one you can take a 4 1/2" grinder with a wafer thin blade and cut the bolt off at the nut in minutes and be running shortly.

D

Darryl G

This is exactly how I teach customers to drive their ZTR's.
Use your writing hand to steer and your other hand to balance the speed.
Forger about one stick forward & the other back, all that will do is dig a hole in your lawn.
Concentrate on the steering hand and just let the other follow to maintain or reduce your speed.

After a few mows you will develop the required muscle memory and will be driving without thought.
I beg to differ. Separating the sticks on turn-arounds does far less damage to turf. Yes it takes some practice. Dragging and scrubbing the inside tire on turns tears turf.

JGGMC

JGGMC

That is about how we do ours. If we are cutting deep bahia grass mid summer we change them 3 times per day.

We run high lift Oregan blades and try to keep about 20 to 25 sets in the rotation. We hire them sharpened. We have 4 Tiger Cats. Normally run 2 to 3 of them a day depending on the day.

If you don't have a Battery 1/2" drive Impact Wrench it would be to your benefit to get one. With it and a cheap floor jack you can change blades on a Tiger Cat in about 5 minutes. The nuts on top are a game changer. If you ever have a nut tog auld on one you can take a 4 1/2" grinder with a wafer thin blade and cut the bolt off at the nut in minutes and be running shortly.
What size bolt and nut should my Tiger Cat 2 have on the mower blades?

jekjr

jekjr

I beg to differ. Separating the sticks on turn-arounds does far less damage to turf. Yes it takes some practice. Dragging and scrubbing the inside tire on turns tears turf.

The key to not tearing turf is to keep the tires rolling instead of locking one or spinning one backwards. I actually can turn around soother with one hand than I can two believe it or not.

jekjr

jekjr

What size bolt and nut should my Tiger Cat 2 have on the mower blades?

All you NORMALLY need is a 15/16 impact socket on an impact wrench. On occasion you have to wedge a 15/16 combination wrench underneath and put some persuasion on it with a breaker bar on top. If you can't get it to come loose that way take a wafer blade on a side grinder and cut it off and put a new bolt in it.

Out of hundreds of blade changes since we started running Scags in 2014 though we have only had to do that twice. Almost had to do it on one recently New mower on first blade change......Took it to dealer and they had a large breaker bar with a pipe on it and fowled a combination wrench underneath and finally got it to break loose. Then replaced the bolt and nut.

Normally you can start the nut with your fingers and then take the impact and tighten it with out holding a backup.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION. DO NOT. repeat DO NOT. use impact with your hand underneath trying to hold a wrench. An impact can spin the blades at times like the motor running.

L

Luffydog

The cheetahs are the worse about tighten themselves up too tight but I haven't seen one yet that that my big ole 1" impact can't get off. And for the bolt size it is a 5/8 bolt with a 5/8 nut and sorry I forget the length right off. All fails add a little heat from a hand held torch it works wonders but takes longer but gets it done.

jekjr

jekjr

The cheetahs are the worse about tighten themselves up too tight but I haven't seen one yet that that my big ole 1" impact can't get off. And for the bolt size it is a 5/8 bolt with a 5/8 nut and sorry I forget the length right off. All fails add a little heat from a hand held torch it works wonders but takes longer but gets it done.

5/8" bolts. 15/16" wrenches......Sockets...

D

Darryl G

The key to not tearing turf is to keep the tires rolling instead of locking one or spinning one backwards. I actually can turn around soother with one hand than I can two believe it or not.

Yes, the tire needs to be rolling either frontwards or backwards. But doing a very tight turn can cause the inside tire to scuff and tear turf.

It's easier to learn how to operate a Zero-Turn if you first operate a hydro walk-behind mower, because you can easily see both wheels and what they're doing. I see a lot of homeowners that mow "tractor style" with their Zero-Turn mowers. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Where I am it's expected that professionals mow with straight stripes back and forth, or in some cases along a contour. I do zero turns all day long without damaging lawns. Not like it can't be done. And if it can, then why not?

Note that I run compact and fairly light 52 inch mowers, not full-sized 60 inchers like most around me do.

Edit:. Oh, you run Scags. No wonder. Great machines but heavy. Probably would do a lot of damage if you did what I do. My Bob-Cat is only 850 pounds without the bagger. 52 inch Tiger Cat is 1,100 pounds.

JGGMC

JGGMC

5/8" bolts. 15/16" wrenches......Sockets...
thanks

JGGMC

JGGMC

All you NORMALLY need is a 15/16 impact socket on an impact wrench. On occasion you have to wedge a 15/16 combination wrench underneath and put some persuasion on it with a breaker bar on top. If you can't get it to come loose that way take a wafer blade on a side grinder and cut it off and put a new bolt in it.

Out of hundreds of blade changes since we started running Scags in 2014 though we have only had to do that twice. Almost had to do it on one recently New mower on first blade change......Took it to dealer and they had a large breaker bar with a pipe on it and fowled a combination wrench underneath and finally got it to break loose. Then replaced the bolt and nut.

Normally you can start the nut with your fingers and then take the impact and tighten it with out holding a backup.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION. DO NOT. repeat DO NOT. use impact with your hand underneath trying to hold a wrench. An impact can spin the blades at times like the motor running.
I took my my blades off with 2 box end wrenches after 9 hours of use. I sharpened the blades with a 4 1/2 grinder. I am waiting on a blade balancer tool from ebay. How much better are the 100 dollar wall mount blade balancers? Is there a hitch for my scag to pull a fertilizer spreader?

jekjr

jekjr

I took my my blades off with 2 box end wrenches after 9 hours of use. I sharpened the blades with a 4 1/2 grinder. I am waiting on a blade balancer tool from ebay. How much better are the 100 dollar wall mount blade balancers? Is there a hitch for my scag to pull a fertilizer spreader?

I honestly don't know about the blade balancer. We hire a shop to sharpen and balance our blades because there are so many. I am not sure about the hitch either. This one might work. https://www.rcpw.com/scag-parts/gen...MI2Zjnsc2Q2wIV07XACh2BTgvjEAYYAiABEgJvpvD_BwE

jekjr

jekjr

I honestly don't know about the blade balancer. We hire a shop to sharpen and balance our blades because there are so many. I am not sure about the hitch either. This one might work. https://www.rcpw.com/scag-parts/gen...MI2Zjnsc2Q2wIV07XACh2BTgvjEAYYAiABEgJvpvD_BwE

Here is another one.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Hitc...d=1526692821&sr=8-5&keywords=scag+mower+hitch

cpurvis

cpurvis

There is a hitch available. See this page: http://scag.com/accessories.html

JGGMC

JGGMC

I found this one on ebay

3jakes

I would never spring for an expensive balancer.
You figure the first time you nick a rock, rocket science perfection is gone.
My cone on a pin type balancer gets rid of any vibration that developed.

JGGMC

JGGMC

I would never spring for an expensive balancer.
You figure the first time you nick a rock, rocket science perfection is gone.
My cone on a pin type balancer gets rid of any vibration that developed.
I ordered this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oregon-Zin...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

3jakes

Sure, that same one has been on my bench for the last 30 years.
(course I think I paid about 2 bucks back then) :wink:

grewterd

grewterd

This is what I needed last week, but I figured it out on my own. I'm doing just like you describe. I keep the speed going with one side and steer with the other. I have to concentrate and stick my tongue out, but I'm getting it! Of course, I did break one of my fence slats, ups! Can't wait for Friday!

Be careful you don't hit a bump & bite off yer tongue. :thumbsup: :laughing: