I drove a gravely for the 1st time today

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like your landlord may want you to fix her gravely. Lol

Yes, that was discussed before I even moved in. My brother knows them very well, and he told them about me when he found out this place was for rent.
Anything they need done, that I can do, I do it. And it reduces my rent. $100 for mowing, probably twice a month. Makes the rent only about $350 a month.
Seriously, in Texas right now, this house would rent for no less than $1500 a month.

Ron3

Threads
Sounds like you are getting a good deal rent here in East Tennessee rent has gone crazy along with the price of houses.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you are getting a good deal rent here in East Tennessee has gone crazy along with the price of houses.

One I couldn't pass up. So good, I left my girlfriend to move here.

This is the kind of crap I was running into in east Texas. $750 per month.
1635080473035.jpeg

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
I don't know what I did to my back, but since before Christmas of last yes, it's been giving me fits. And it's SOO easy to flare up. When it first started hurting, I swear, I couldn't even put my socks on. Much less tie my shoes. When I got able to go to town, I had to go get a pedicure because I couldn't reach my toenails to cut'm.
And now, all of my shoes have to be slip ons.
Most days now, everything starts out good. And I can do just about anything. I get used to that, and BAM!!!!!!!! I do something like trying to lift something heavy, or even reaching down up pull up my sock, and it's over. No rhyme or reason. Just when it wants to.
After mowing that yard for two days, I can feel it coming on. I felt it about an hour before I was done today. It was getting tender.
Just a side note on your back issue. You wrote an exact description of my back situation from earlier this year. Very much the same. I finally went to Physical Therapy and after 2-months I am now able to put on those sox and tie my shoes and get up off the floor. For your own quality of life....I strongly suggest to talk to a doctor and get into PT and get going on those stretches.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
All 0-turns ride a bit rougher than a tractor. A good seat makes a world of difference, but still not as comfortable as a tractor-style mower, mostly due to being right on top of the drive axles, whereas the tractors have you sitting between the axles, only getting 50% of the bouncing.

Are you sure about that? Just to double check, I went out and looked at the two riders I have, and both seats are directly over the rear tires. And the only cushion is the seat, seat spring and tires. While most of the ztr's seats are a tad bit in front of the drive tires.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just a side note on your back issue. You wrote an exact description of my back situation from earlier this year. Very much the same. I finally went to Physical Therapy and after 2-months I am now able to put on those sox and tie my shoes and get up off the floor. For your own quality of life....I strongly suggest to talk to a doctor and get into PT and get going on those stretches.

I'm glad you said that. My last doctor was going to get me into PT, but I had to move. So I never got to go. But I didn't understand how that was going to help anything. Because when I could do stuff, it only seem to make it worse.
I suppose it's in how you do stuff, that makes the difference. And a PT would know what to do and what not to do.

Thanks man.

SamB

Threads
Are you sure about that? Just to double check, I went out and looked at the two riders I have, and both seats are directly over the rear tires. And the only cushion is the seat, seat spring and tires. While most of the ztr's seats are a tad bit in front of the drive tires.
I'm embarassed! :-( You are so right about the tractors! My Snapper has the seat in the middle. The Snapper is probably the only mower that is set up like that. Ill delete that ill-informed post!

Last edited:

gamma_ray

Threads
Well, the first time I've mowed for a long period of time on one. Spent about 2.5hours on it. It's a 52" cut, IIRC. Decent size Kawasaki engine.

Darn thing bout beat me to death. The landlord said she'd knock $100 off my rent if I mowed her big ass yard. Good grief man, she's got a huge place. And there's some pretty good size bumps. But for the most part it's pretty flat.
What I learned.
It sucks mowing on the side of the ditch. Slips and slides a lot. Not near enough traction.
The grass wasn't too tall. But very thick. The mower had a hard time not losing HP in the thicker stuff. Even when I slowed down.

But the main thing was how uncomfortable it was. I see now why she wanted me to mow it for her. Good grief. Seriously like a tank. In fact, I think a tank maybe better.

I'm getting in my mind to buy a new ztr. But not going to buy a Gravely.
We have an old Hustler Fastrak, and that's the only downside I know of, no suspension other than the tires. You definitely feel any bump or hole the tires encounter. I never thought whether or not other ZTRs have suspension, at least a spring under the seat, like farm tractors.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have an old Hustler Fastrak, and that's the only downside I know of, no suspension other than the tires. You definitely feel any bump or hole the tires encounter. I never thought whether or not other ZTRs have suspension, at least a spring under the seat, like farm tractors.

I've seen a few ztr's with springs on the front casters. And wondered if they helped? Or were just just to keep the wheels on the ground?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Simplicity has front coil overs on base models & higher has coil-overs on all 4 corners. Same for Ferris Commercial, & many others.
I service that Simplicity for a neighbor, not sure if the front only coil springs help much, but IDK for sure.