I DID IT !!!!!!! READ THIS

logert gogert

Threads
anybody remember that hydro MTD i was talking about, i wanted to pulley swap it but couldn't, ( cause it was a hydro ), and couldn't cut with it cause there were BIG holes in the deck, so uuummm, earlier this week, if found a single speed lawn mower transaxle on the side of the rode , just...sitting there, WITH tires on it AND brakes still on it, and it has reverse, forward and neutral, ( its little rod that is next to the brake that you pull in and out, in for forward, middle for neutral, out for reverse ), i couldn't believe it, i even went up to the guys house and said, " do you want that transaxle", he said no, so i brought it home. now when i got home i went to the mower took the hydro off,
and let me tell you folks, if your disconnecting a HYDRO, you better hope what ever your putting on, WORKS because disconnecting all of those small & big rods, all those small and big springs is TORTURE, but luckily i didn't have to put the hydro back on.
okay back to the story, i took the hydro off, took one look at the holes that are located on the chassis of the mower, and one look at the "new" transaxle holes, and i said to myself, " this isn't going to fit." but i was still going to line it up to make sure, i moved the transaxle closer to the mounting holes, "yeah its not gonna work." moved it even closer, "yea its st......whoa wait, will it work?" moved it even closer, "NO WAY", then i put the tranny under the holes, " HOLY CRAP ITS GONNA FIT ". then i ran around the back yard like an idiot with excitement, i probably looked like a six year old that just saw the red power ranger beat up the bad guy.
now before i was gonna bolt it up, i was gonna make sure every thing would work, so I'm laying there under the mower " mm-hmm original brake line goes there then connects to the tranny, uuummm belt goes through there to the pull-............. oh F%4@....... i need a clutch."
so at this point i am destroyed, i NEED a clutch for this to work, so that night i lost a lot of sleep thinking about that, i was probably up till 1am thinking about how i could make a clutch, BUT i found a solution, i was SO happy when i thought of this, i felt like einstein, you guys might not think I'm that smart for thinking of this solution but i was, okay this is what i thought of:
i have no deck right? and what does the PTO do? the PTO tightens the belt, and what does a lawn mower clutch do? tightens the belt. AND on the drive shaft on the motor the are 2 pulleys right? and usually the bottom pulley works the deck AND the bottom one is bigger, so what does a bigger front pulley do? MORE SPEED BABEH. But how would i do this? the top pulley is 4 1/2 inches higher than the bottom pulley, and the rear tranny is made to be fit with the TOP drive pulley, so there for i would need 4 1/2 inches of spacing and bigger bolts. so i went to the hard ware store, and got that square metal pipe that has holes in it that is used for road signs, and i went to go get some bolts, but they didn't have the size i needed ( 3/4 in, 10 in long ) and the only thing they had would work is ....threaded rod, but i don't want threaded rod because i was told by many of people that threaded rod isn't as strong as bolts, Why? i don't know. is threaded rod actually weaker? maybe.
But i know a local store that is family owned that has NOTHING but bolts. and guess what there closed. sooooo, back to the hardware store. now I'm home.......with threaded rod. i then go cut that square pipe into the 6 pieces i need, 3 on each side, i then go get the rod, and bolt it up, or should i say, rodded it up? wink wink.
okay sorry for that bad joke, its now all bolted up, i pump up the tires, and get a belt, and just for future reference about a month ago this old man was throwing out hundreds of mower belts, he gives them to me for FREE,so then i take them home and now i have a ton of belt, and guess what? the belt that i needed was in that pile of belts. so i put the belt on, feed it through the PTO the to the front, i go to the top of the mower and move the PTO on and off, the belt tightness is tight when on, and its loose when off, but not to loose, so i hook up the brake rod to the brake, and I'm ready to go, moment of truth, i start up the mower, now when i start it up the idling speed seems a bit off, i don't think much of it, i let it warm up, now here i go, push the "clutch" in and nothing. i forgot to put it in drive, so i turn it off and go under the mower, pull that little rod "click" there we go drive, start it back up, ok once again here we go, i push the PTO in.............then i BLAST into reverse, remember when i said the idling was a bit off, yea OFF BY LIKE 1500 RPM, so I'm sitting here going like 10 mph in reverse, so i try to undo the PTO and its stuck, now mind you I'm STILL in reverse, now I'm like, "this is how I'm gonna die, on a freaking LAWNMOWER"
now it wasn't as chill as I'm making it sound, it was more like:
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! ! ! ! !
so I'm sitting here still in reverse, I'm in the fenced in part of my back yard thats maybe 1/4 an acre, and theres obstacles, so I'm maneuvering around these obstacles like a maniac cause in my head my life is on the line, every turn the wheels are coming off the ground and crap.
PTO still stuck, still going like 10 mph, and at this point I'm already seeing the grim reaper, he's like freaking whispering in my ear and crap.
and I'm sitting here like an idiot looking like I'm have ing a seizure trying to get this stupid PTO unstuck.
NOW FINALLY I CAN GET THE PTO UNSTUCK, turn the PTO off and get on the brake

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay sorry i have to cut the story short, i have to go somewhere and i can't finish writing this, but there will be the rest of the story on this thread later today
it will be called part 2
heres a hint for part 2, the mower now goes 25mph lol
oh and plz read this, i spent an hour typing this
oke bye

Last edited:

logert gogert

Threads
Sorry,I wanna get part 2 out, but the computer acting up and not working.
Im my tablet now, and I will right part 2 on my tablet if I have to

Lawn Addict
Threads
No offense man, but you need to use paragraphs, it is too hard to read & follow otherwise.

Just a friendly suggestion.

logert gogert

Threads
oh, somebody finally read, it i was thinking nobody would, but yes i would do paragraphs next time.

but i have a question, would you personally like to see the part 2 of my story, I'm just asking cause i don't want to write it and nobody reads it...?

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't have time. But maybe others will read it. I'm just trying to be honest with you.

Many forums, members see some long read & they just pass it by.