I can't get my deck belt back on

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
With gloves on pull idler arm attached to spring vs. spring itself.

Last edited:

Kubotafan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere Z710 and have used a ratchet strap to pull the idler arm back and hold it while the belt was positioned.

longsam1950

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere Z710 and have used a ratchet strap to pull the idler arm back and hold it while the belt was positioned.
I have an old LT1050, and to replace the deck belt, I use a 3/8 in ratchet in the plate that connects the spring to the deck.
This takes the tension off the belt, so you can put it over the pulley, I'm not familiar with the newer models. I've had mine since 2005.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep,
I was embarrassed by an 62 year old customer who when he saw me trying to pull a tension arm back with a spring puller that was just the wrong size to work, pushed me out of the way , hooked up a fork leg tie down strap and had the belt back ion in about 15 seconds .

Southland

Threads
I use a tie down strap around the idler to pull the spring. Then when the belt is on, I slide the strap from under the belt. It's even easier if you have two people.

Mattlap

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ended up using a ratchet strap to pull the spring which gave me enough slack. I tried to post a photo but everytime I try it says file is too large.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is an example of the spring hook I made here except mine has a longer shaft and smaller hook. I have use these tools for years as I came from the office equipment repair industry.
9010310_ptl_w86557_pri_larg.jpg

Yep,
I was embarrassed by an 62 year old customer who when he saw me trying to pull a tension arm back with a spring puller that was just the wrong size to work, pushed me out of the way , hooked up a fork leg tie down strap and had the belt back ion in about 15 seconds .
And your customer has me beat by a year.