I am really bad at this....

Phogan

Member
let me start by saying that I am way out of my league on this subject but I'm excited to learn.
I have a 900 series Briggs and Stratton 9.0 engine that has sat out in the weather.
I have changed the spark plug, Cleaned the carb and drained the gas tank.
I still can't get it to start and would appreciate if anyone has a list of things I could check from here.
Any help will be wonderful!!
Thanks
Phogan
 
I checked. I don't believe I do.
Thanks for helping.
Phogan
P.S
I saw your John Deere signature. I also have an 1986 John Deere 318 that I want to get going next.:smile:
 
I checked. I don't believe I do.
Thanks for helping.
Phogan
P.S
I saw your John Deere signature. I also have an 1986 John Deere 318 that I want to get going next.:smile:
You can try a new or known good spark plug if you don't have a spark tester (recommended) but I'm guessing it isn't the plug. You should have two wires to the magneto/coil. One to the spark plug and one grounding wire to a kill/stop switch. Before you buy a new coil, disconnect that stop switch connector from the magneto/coil and check for spark again. If you have spark then the problem is in the wiring or stop switch. If you still don't have spark then it's probably time for a new coil/module.
Heres a couple of good videos on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8Y3l5piBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFykwhf9YBs
 
let me start by saying that I am way out of my league on this subject but I'm excited to learn.
I have a 900 series Briggs and Stratton 9.0 engine that has sat out in the weather.
I have changed the spark plug, Cleaned the carb and drained the gas tank.
I still can't get it to start and would appreciate if anyone has a list of things I could check from here.
Any help will be wonderful!!
Thanks
Phogan

There are four things you need and it will run. I don't care what engine you have. Just take your time, don't repeat work, and try to think what it needs to run when the fuel go's to the piston and go's bang.
Spark
Fuel
Compression
Timing
When you trouble shoot, start with the small free things first. Dose it have spark, fuel to the carburetor. You might want to buy new filters, fuel and air, spark plug, all a small cheap and a good investment. Compression, dose it just free wheel when you spin it over, Timing would be one of the last thing I would check.
 
Sorry took a while to get back to everyone. I don't think I have a spark and this is what my flywheel looks like.
I'm ready for direction and suggestions.
Thanks a bunch
PHogan

image-1652540654.jpg



image-2739665250.jpg
 
Test for spark. Easy test pull the plug and lay it on a rust free part of the engine and with the plug wire on the spark plug spin the engine and see if it sparks. You might want to clean the rust off the flywheel and coil because it will help. If no spark have the coil tested someplace. You are going to install a new plug right?
 
Take off the air filter and spray some carb cleaner in the carb directly, or dribble fuel, and crank as if you were going to mow, like sitting on the seat, handles pulled back etc......

If it starts then dies, then you have a fuel related problem.
 
Back
Top