Engine i am curious to see what your fav engine is

173abn

Threads
after doing a little research I see were Kubota uses Kohler engines however I would say over 95% of the Kubota models use Kubota engines. russ

briggs

Threads
I'm getting a lot of insights here. I see a number of affirmations about Kubota. Many friends swear it's a good choice, especially in tropical conditions.

They are a good motor not to bad to work on ether if you understand how diesels work...

briggs

Threads
anyone like cat motors :confused3:

stuckinnj

Threads
Gas - Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda - the rest just don't matter.
Diesel - Kubota (RTV), Yanmar (JD 4310) & 7.3l Turbo (Ford F-250)

As for working on them - if they don't break, you don't have to worry about how difficult they are to repair. Just maintain them like you'll keep them forever. My Cub 1450 is older then my kids and I didn't have to send it to college:laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
anyone like cat motors :confused3:

If you are referring to BIG cat engines.... Yes they are great.
The smallish 'Cat' labeled diesel engines that you will find in mowers ... I'm not that sure of (yet), they are not made by cat and have not been around long enough to prove out... Their injector pump is made by Perkins so the I pump should be good...
Small under 100 HP diesels #1 Kubota, #2 Yanmar...
I am sure there must be some great small size diesels in Europe that have not had a lot of exposure here in the states... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does Kubota manufacture their own engines? Just wondering.

Like russ said ... Yes they do make both Diesel and Gasoline engines... They are wonderful to work on...
The diesel engines are absolutely perfectly machined, the engineering is second to none... :smile:KennyV

Here is a link to their Kubota Engine America info site...
Kubota Engine America - Compact Diesel Engines

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gas - Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda - the rest just don't matter.
Diesel - Kubota (RTV), Yanmar (JD 4310) & 7.3l Turbo (Ford F-250)

As for working on them - if they don't break, you don't have to worry about how difficult they are to repair. Just maintain them like you'll keep them forever. My Cub 1450 is older then my kids and I didn't have to send it to college:laughing:

You know I keep forgetting about that 14 HP Kohler in my 1450 CC, It has LOTS of hours on it and is so dependable I often don't give it a thought. Very reliable long lived tractor/engine... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• GEDC1164.jpg
    GEDC1164.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 5
  • GEDC1165.jpg
    GEDC1165.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1
  • GEDC1166.jpg
    GEDC1166.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 5

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like russ said ... Yes they do make both Diesel and Gasoline engines... They are wonderful to work on...
The diesel engines are absolutely perfectly machined, the engineering is second to none... :smile:KennyV

Here is a link to their Kubota Engine America info site...
Kubota Engine America - Compact Diesel Engines

Thanks for the link, I love small diesel engines, drove commercial straight trucks with big diesels for 30 years and always wanted a diesel powered vehicle of my own but when you drive only a few thousand miles a year it's hard to justify paying big bucks for the diesel engine.

About Briggs, back in '89 I bought a MTD rototiller with the 5 hp Briggs, it gets used only 10 hours a year at most but it's always full throttle operation. Know what I have had to do as far as maintenance and repairs in that time, other than an annual oil change?

Three air filters, five spark plugs, replace one starter rope. It always starts in one or two pulls even after sitting all winter long. Thats reliability for you.

briggs

Threads
If you are referring to BIG cat engines.... Yes they are great.
The smallish 'Cat' labeled diesel engines that you will find in mowers ... I'm not that sure of (yet), they are not made by cat and have not been around long enough to prove out... Their injector pump is made by Perkins so the I pump should be good...
Small under 100 HP diesels #1 Kubota, #2 Yanmar...
I am sure there must be some great small size diesels in Europe that have not had a lot of exposure here in the states... :smile:KennyV

i drove dump truck for a while i didn't mind the big cats ether lots of power ...I havent had one of the smaller ones com in yet ..but heard they are not to bad and wondered what others thought of them ...

173abn

Threads
One of my brother in laws gave me his rototiller he bought for his dad new in the early 60s.has a little 5hp b&s.I did'nt have no use for it because I have a Yanmar pto tiller but my boy wanted to till his g.f. garden so I pulled it out of the barn,put some gas in it and it started right up.Surprised the heck outta me.I forget to say put new oil in it. russ