hydrostatic transmission problems

boston

Threads
The tranny in my 1996 craftsman 15 HP lawn tractor is having problems. It has been whining and growling really loud when going up hills or just driving around regularly. It's also vibrating a lot while doing so. I tried to purge the tranny a few weeks ago and that did nothing. It also seems like its slower than it once was. I don't know If the hydrostatic has ever been serviced but I doubt it. I looked online and people are saying that the oil level is low or worn out which is wearing out the pump. Some also said that when they add oil to their tranny, it makes the whining almost go away. I don't want to end up wrecking the pump. I think the whole unit takes three different types of oil. I never had to take out the tranny or do work to it so what should I do? I could take it to Sears but it would end up costing hundreds or a small engine shop. If not, I could try it myself.

Threads
I would say it depends how confident you are with your abilities....if you know what you are doing, I would listen to what people say and take their advice. But if you are like me (let's just say I'm not a mechanic) you could take it to a small engine shop or someone you know who can do it and not charge you TONS.

boston

Threads
Yea I think ill do that but I dont have a trailer to take it yet. So is it safe to use the tractor in the mean time? Maybe I can add oil without taking the whole transmission out

boston

Threads
Is there a way to check and add oil to the transmission without removing it from the tractor?