Hydrostatic transmission problem?

Rosey

Threads
Is the tranny belt visible or internal ? If it's visible, it was checked along with the pulleys.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have the hydro in the neutral position with the engine running and the clutch not depressed does it squeal? Does it make the noise when you engage the trans to move? Does it get louder when you try to go faster?

Rosey

Threads
If you have the hydro in the neutral position with the engine running and the clutch not depressed does it squeal? Does it make the noise when you engage the trans to move? Does it get louder when you try to go faster?
No to squeal in neutral, engine running. I can engage trans but starts to make noise if I move more than turtle speed. And yes, it will get scary loud and conk out if I try to speed up or try to go up an incline. Now I can't recall if it's all the same sounding noise.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It does sound like the trans is bad. The high pitched whining noise is the fluid bypassing the pistons in the pump at supersonic speed. The trans at a minimum needs the pump and motor assemblies replaced. Not a simple task.

Rosey

Threads
Thank you Richie. Here are the numbers I can see:

Scott's Model 1642H

Product ID # GX1442S132505

On air cleaner serial number of engine maybe 3034702233

The tractor was gone over by a skilled mechanic. He did not see a belt problem or anything else that would keep the tractor from moving. . He said that the problem is "internal" and that he does not know anything about hydro transmissions. Said it needs a new "rear end." Is there a belt within the transmission that you are referring to that would not be visible without disassembly? I think the tranny may be under the battery which is under the seat. I can't see to provide a number for that.

Rosey

Threads
Thank you Richie. Here are the numbers I can see:

Scott's Model 1642H

Product ID # GX1442S132505

On air cleaner serial number of engine maybe 3034702233

The tractor was gone over by a skilled mechanic. He did not see a belt problem or anything else that would keep the tractor from moving. . He said that the problem is "internal" and that he does not know anything about hydro transmissions. Said it needs a new "rear end." Is there a belt within the transmission that you are referring to that would not be visible without disassembly? I think the tranny may be under the battery which is under the seat. I can't see to provide a number Report Edit
It does sound like the trans is bad. The high pitched whining noise is the fluid bypassing the pistons in the pump at supersonic speed. The trans at a minimum needs the pump and motor assemblies replaced. Not a simple task.
Thank you for the assessment. Time to call it quits.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this was my mower then I would start with replacing the drive belt and all of the idler pulleys.
These are service replacement items so even if the transmission is bad and requires fixing you have not wasted your money .
As you can always put the old ones back am & keep the new ones for latter .
A squeal that gets wore when you go up hill sounds more like a belt than a box as was stated way back in the beginning.

Rosey

Threads
Thanks for giving me hope. The initial diagnosis was that it is not a belt or idler pulley, however what you say makes sense. Do you think I should have a JD dealer pick it up and assess?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replacing the belts & pulleys will be cheaper than getting the JD tech to look at it.
Add to that a shop will wan to fix everything which will cost a fortune .
An independent repair only workshop would usually give you a more honest opinion because they are not trying to sell you a new mower.

Rosey

Threads
Replacing the belts & pulleys will be cheaper than getting the JD tech to look at it.
Add to that a shop will wan to fix everything which will cost a fortune .
An independent repair only workshop would usually give you a more honest opinion because they are not trying to sell you a new mower.
Yes, I already had an independent mechanic who's full time job is care of all the equipment, servicing and repairs, for a huge cemetetery. He's the one who thought it was a gear or something in the tranny. He's very trustworthy but can't fix hydros. He did not think there was a problem with either belts or idler pulleys. You think they should be changed out anyway?