Hydrostatic Transmission Fuel Cold Line - Hard to Read

rajthepilot

Threads
  • / Hydrostatic Transmission Fuel Cold Line - Hard to Read
I've had my mower for 3 years (Snapper Pro S200XT - bought it used at 400, now has 580 hours on it). It went in for repair and I had them change the hydraulic fluid as well. In the last 3 years, I never changed or added the hydraulic fluid, I had heard that it's good for about 400 hours (please correct me if I'm wrong).

But after a hydraulic fluid change and mowing for 6 hours, I noticed the right expansion tank has tiny bit in there, but the left expansion tank doesn't seem to have any or barely a little. The cold line is also a bit hard to read, but there's an indentation on the rear facing side of the expansion tank and I'm wondering if that's also the cold line

I'll also mention that before I saw the hydraulic fluid levels - my drive belt had come off, I had lifted the back up for about half a day to remove the drive belt and put on the new one and then I mowed for 1 hour and that's when I checked the hydraulic fluids.

So my questions were?
1. Could the hydraulic fluid be less because it was just changed and maybe the mower used it up a little?
2. Is the indentation is where the cold line should be?
3. Should I use 20W50 Oil for it?
4. Why is the cold line so far below - does it ever expand a lot when it gets hot?
4. Off Topic - what kind of life can I expect out of this Commercial mower - Snapper Pro S200XT?

Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 11

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check for leaks.
Fill to the COLD FILL line. Do this after it’s been sitting overnight.
20W50 is what is recommended by Hydro-Gear.
It’s normal for the oil level to go down after a change. It’s spelled out in the change and purge instructions.
Do you have access to the operators manual for the mower? It tells you what you need to know.
You could always highlight the lettering with a paint pen.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Boy I wish people would post the equipment actual model numbers: just which one of these 20 unit do you have?
1687204217952.png
Also I have a set those tanks coming late tomorrow ( i believe they are the same tanks) and can check the cold fill line then.

rajthepilot

Threads
Check for leaks.
Fill to the COLD FILL line. Do this after it’s been sitting overnight.
20W50 is what is recommended by Hydro-Gear.
It’s normal for the oil level to go down after a change. It’s spelled out in the change and purge instructions.
Do you have access to the operators manual for the mower? It tells you what you need to know.
You could always highlight the lettering with a paint pen.
Thank you.

I do have the operators manual for the Snapper Pro S200XT - 5901280 but I didn't find any wording that said it'll go down after a change, and that's what I was actually searching for in there as well. Thank you for letting me know.

I couldn't even upload the compressed version of the operator manual's pdf, so attached is just the page that shows hydraulic oil change instructions. In the picture, the "Cold Fill" line is above the "Cold Fill", but I didn't see it or feel it above my mower's hydraulic oil expansion tanks. I'm still having trouble figuring that out, so I'm thinking maybe the marking in the rear below is also the cold fill mark.

Any particular brand of 20W-50 or any oil that says 20W-50 is fine? such as (Castrol GTX 20W-50 Conventional Motor Oil, 1 Quart - at Walmart)

Thank You

Attachments

• Hydraulic Oil Change - Snapper Pro S200XT.jpg
    Hydraulic Oil Change - Snapper Pro S200XT.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

rajthepilot

Threads
Boy I wish people would post the equipment actual model numbers: just which one of these 20 unit do you have?
View attachment 65270
Also I have a set those tanks coming late tomorrow ( i believe they are the same tanks) and can check the cold fill line then.
Snapper Pro 5901280.0 - S200XTB2761, 61" Zero-Turn Rider

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually after I got to see the Correct IPL I don't have the 1000ml tanks coming just some 350ml tanks.

Now this should be your tank per the HG PN 71938 and red box is the full cold line. Otherwords just barely anything in the tank.
1687211563952.png

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you.

I do have the operators manual for the Snapper Pro S200XT - 5901280 but I didn't find any wording that said it'll go down after a change, and that's what I was actually searching for in there as well. Thank you for letting me know.

I couldn't even upload the compressed version of the operator manual's pdf, so attached is just the page that shows hydraulic oil change instructions. In the picture, the "Cold Fill" line is above the "Cold Fill", but I didn't see it or feel it above my mower's hydraulic oil expansion tanks. I'm still having trouble figuring that out, so I'm thinking maybe the marking in the rear below is also the cold fill mark.

Any particular brand of 20W-50 or any oil that says 20W-50 is fine? such as (Castrol GTX 20W-50 Conventional Motor Oil, 1 Quart - at Walmart)

Thank You
No particular brand. 20W50 conventional motor oil. The Castrol GTX 20W50 will be fine.
Yes, after a service and purging the air, the fluid level will fall.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually after I got to see the Correct IPL I don't have the 1000ml tanks coming just some 350ml tanks.

Now this should be your tank per the HG PN 71938 and red box is the full cold line. Otherwords just barely anything in the tank.
View attachment 65277
I can barely see that line on his tank picture.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got to know what you are looking for sometimes.