Hydrostatic or gear driven?

SkipJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all.. newbie member here...

So, I'm in the market for a riding mower and have been doing a little research. I've been using a Craftsman self-propelled push mower to do my yard. It cuts well, but it's always moved a little slow for my taste. Now one of the drive wheel's plastic gear teeth are stripped so now it goes even slower and is even heavier to push. It takes me a little over an hour to cut my lawn.

To get to the point, I'm considering getting a small rider. I have a yard just big enough to not look rediculous on one... I've looked at a few on craigslist and was not impressed with what's out there. So, I swung by a couple dealers and noticed a significant price jump between gear driven models and ones with hydrostatic drives on them.

I think I would like the speed control of the hydrostatic, but from what I'm reading, it sounds like they require more maintenance than a gear drive.

I guess I'm looking for opinions on whether hydrostatic is worth the price increase and added maintenance in my situation.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The hydros on the small lawn tractors are sealed and do not need any servicing besides keeping the outside clean. Don't know what you were reading that they needed it. 95% of the hydros I work on have problems due to abuse. Go hydro and your better half will probably help you cut, because it is just like driving a car.

xp14629

Threads
Hydros are the only way to mow. And if you are looking at the smaller units, he said, just keep the outside cleaned off for cooling.

txzrider

Threads
These guys all know so much their answer is all you need, I can tell you in using my snapper 33 inch zrider for 15 years I had 0 issues with the hydros. I was very sceptical about the no maintenance required that I read in the owners manual... but it was absolutly correct.

SkipJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys... so, I bit the bullet and shelled out the extra coin for a 42" hydrostatic Craftsman.

Took it out for its first run yesterday and.... it was a blast! I only bumped the laundry pole once. ;)

I need a little practice with my cutting pattern as I found myself zigging back over spots I'd missed... and I need to make my yard a little more "rider friendly" with some curves in the landscaping.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Parkmower

Threads
SkipJack said:
Hey guys... so, I bit the bullet and shelled out the extra coin for a 42" hydrostatic Craftsman.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

You'll be glad you did

greggn

Threads
remember to blow the dust off the tranny to aid in cooling