Hydrostatic fluid for Honda HF2216 H

Devon Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone help?

I have a 2003 HF2216 H lawn tractor (made in France) which has been losing traction. I thought the hydrostatic transmission must need topping up. The Operator's Manual provides no information on maintenance of the transmission. All it says is the rear axle "is a sealed single unit which does not require maintenance. It is permanently lubricated and this lubricant does not need changing or topping up."

However the tractor has almost stopped going so I removed the plastic grass shoot to get a better view of the top of the transmission. I discovered an empty plastic header tank on top of the transmission unit. I can't find any info on what to put in it. I have found some references to other Honda tractor models using SAE 10W30 engine oil with API classifications of SE, CC, or CD, but NOT to use Honda Hydrostatic fluid. In any case I can't find a source here in the UK for Honda Hydrostatic fluid.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

jp1961

Threads
I'd email Honda, explain your situation and ask what would be an acceptable alternative to Honda Hydrostatic fluid.

Regards

Jeff

Devon Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Jeff. I had messaged Honda but not yet had a reply. In the meantime I have had my question answered by Chris at Mowerparts in Ireland (mowerparts.ie) when I was buying some parts for my HF2216. He said, "The reservoir tank uses SAE 30 engine oil, the same oil as the engine, just fill around 3/4 full."

So I added about half a litre of SAE 5w30 fully synthetic GM Dexos 2 which I have to hand. The mower is now going great and driving like it did when it was new. I wish I had removed the grass chute before and found the transmission fluid reservoir earlier. Why don't Honda tell you that it is there instead of saying that the transmission is a sealed unit with no maintenance?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Honda do not make the tranny.
So the best thing for them is to list it as a sealed unit not repairable.
That makes around 200 parts that Honda does not need to have an inventory of which is a massive cost saving.

Last edited:

Devon Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
I take your point about reducing inventory and describing the unit as not repairable but why does that prevent them from saying the fluid can be topped up in the reservoir? It does require the removal of the grass chute to do this but that is a very simple task.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I take your point about reducing inventory and describing the unit as not repairable but why does that prevent them from saying the fluid can be topped up in the reservoir? It does require the removal of the grass chute to do this but that is a very simple task.
Don't ask me, ask Honda.
They consider that it is not customer servicable.
I have never seen an owners manual, just the service manual and that tells you the oil should be visible but below the line when the oil is HOT.
The resevious is an overflow, almost the same as the noverflow on your car radiator.
FWIW I have never seen tranny oil checking instructions in any other owners manuals either

Devon Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I'd love to get my hands on a service manual. I will need to check the level again when the oil is hot as I may have added a little too much. I put about half a litre in. Most of that went in before the level even reached the reservoir.
FYI, the owners manual says nothing about the hydrostatic transmission and doesn't mention that there is a reservoir. Under the heading "rear axle" the manual has just the two sentences I put in my original post. I guess those would apply equally to the manual transmission model.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Honda USA sell their service manuals on Amazon.
Not sure what Honda Europe do.
On the transmission or in the specifications or on a parts break down will be the makers number for the transmission.
Just about all tranny makers have repair information on line & sell parts direct to the public.
On the tranny itself should be the makers name and the serial number of the transmission.
Some of the Hondas we got down here had a tranny tag right next to the Honda model tag.
Some of the models we got here had Eatons trannies & Eaton exited the mower buisness around the same time Honda did in the USA

Devon Rider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I haven't seen any sources for service manuals here but I'll keep looking. Honda don't respond to my enquiries.