HydroGear ZT-2800 Oil Change Issue

cruzenmike

Threads
My Hustler with zt-2800's said to service at 75-100 hours. I did. Then I heard all the conflicting opinions on doing it at all. My new mower a ferris stander, my dealer said don't touch them. I contacted Hydro gear directly and their tech said they need to be done at 75 hours initially on the zt3400's I have now.

I guess I'll just keep them clean when I change it and take my chances.

it's ironic now that I'm reading this because I just picked up a new exmark which has ZT-2800s and the manual recommends doing the first hydrostatic oil change at 75 hours. My prior Exmark said 250 for the first service but the difference is that it was a separate pump motor system in that mower. with the amount of hours that I put on my mowers I should be doing my first hydrostatic service after two years and then every year after based on the recommendation in the manual.

gasjr4wd

Threads
it's ironic now that I'm reading this because I just picked up a new exmark which has ZT-2800s and the manual recommends doing the first hydrostatic oil change at 75 hours. My prior Exmark said 250 for the first service but the difference is that it was a separate pump motor system in that mower. with the amount of hours that I put on my mowers I should be doing my first hydrostatic service after two years and then every year after based on the recommendation in the manual.

None of this makes any sense. It's like don't change your engine oil until the engine blows up, then we will not cover it because the book said to change it at X hours and you didn't. You shouldn't have listened to the dealer. The warranty isn't with them. Did you get this "don't change it" in writing? I bet they will not do that. I change my Hustler hydro's all the time with no issues at all. Just follow the directions and there will be no issues. Shoot, if it's dirty but not time yet, it gets changed it anyway. Ever hear of something dying from having too clean oil? Follow manufacture of mower and/or trans instructions, not the ding dong dealer. It's the manufacture that means anything anyway, not the dealer. If they say change it after the first 75 hours, change it. Some books are hard to understand. If the mower manufacture says to change it sooner than the trans manufacture, change it sooner. Clean oil is good oil. Always change filters at same time. Bleed air out with wheels up, and keep doing it. Move the bypass levers in and out a few times. Any issues contact the manufacturer if your dealer is that stupid.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem with changing the oil in transmission is the first line that about 0,01% even read let alone act on.
" Thoroughly clean the cap and surrounding area "
That means a bit more than a cursory wipe around with a dirty rag.
Dust is a massive problem for hydros
It is not anywhere near as much a problem for an engine.

EricC

Threads
If you can change it at 250 why not at 75 when they suggest it? If it was going to fail from that, better early than late while it's still under warranty. a lot of guys will put that on in a month or 2. They make fully contained Hydro's and manufacturers have started using more self contained non-greaseable spindles too. If it was really advantageous to leave these un-serviced, why even make it an option? just seal them up. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards not worrying so much about it and just doing what I've always done. The same dealer that told me not to service them, had no trouble opening up the cap and talking about the system while the cap sat in his hand. As much dust can get in then as when i'm doing a change. Clean my workspace, keep the wind down, wipe it off, blow it away and change it. I guess I'll find out.