hydro-lock in a Kohler

Danl99

Threads
I have a Lawnboy 10730, with a Kohler XT650 engine. Five years old. Seems to have developed hydro-lock, whereby I can't pull the starting cord. I remove the spark plug, and I can pull the cord fine fine (though nothing comes out of the plug hole - I would have expected some oil to shoot out). I replace the spark plug, and I can't pull the cord again. What's the fix???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If nothing comes out the cylinder with the spark plug out, I’d be looking at the valves. Remove the spark plug and valve cover. While rotating the flywheel by hand watch the valves to confirm they are opening. Let us know what you find.

Bertrrr

Threads
Can you feel any compression when the plug is out and you pull the cord ? This will expose a lot

Danl99

Threads
Thanks. I managed to get it started, and have wired the safety handle to keep it going for a while. Is that likely to eventually clear out the problem? It's running smoothly, with no smoke coming out.

Danl99

Threads
Well, that's depressing. After getting it started, and letting it run smoothly for 15 minutes, when I try to start it back up, the hydra-lock is still there. You'd think that running it for a while would clear out any problem, but that's evidently not the case.

Bertrrr

Threads
While it's locked as you say , pull your plug and use a straight rod and see what position the piston is in, Curious if it's BTC or TDC.

Danl99

Threads
Not sure what that means. Please explain carefully. What do I do with a rod?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Does not sound hydrolock as the term indicates there must be a liquid involved. It more likely a mechanical failure such as the ignition being loose, engine brake not releasing, or internal problem.

BTW BDC is Bottom Dead Center and TDC is Top Dead Center. Both refers to the piston position.

As for the rod you would inserting it thru the plug hole to find where the piston is sitting in the cylinder.

Danl99

Threads
But, as I said, I was able to get it to run, and it ran smoothly for 15 minutes. You'd think a mechanical failure wouldn't come and go, and specifically go away when I pull the spark plug. Tried that several times. Spark plug in, CAN'T pull cord. Spark plug out, CAN pull cord.