Hydro-Gear 2800 Service Question .. Getting mixed info

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / Hydro-Gear 2800 Service Question .. Getting mixed info
Yes Thank You- I have the link saved, & have verified my serial numbers as internal expansion unit. It seems my pertinent info & chart begins on page 10 & onward..

Says fluid capacity is 77.23 fl oz for each unit only. But this is also for External expansion units, even tho it is clear it lists this as for the hydro unit alone.

I only drained a total of 118 fl oz outta both combined. Not counting oil filters soaked media.
How did you drain the units? Drain plug, turning them upside down, extraction with a pump? This process should not take that long, nor does it have to be exact. Go through purging process with bypass open and closed, add oil until full.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
How did you drain the units? Drain plug, turning them upside down, extraction with a pump? This process should not take that long, nor does it have to be exact. Go through purging process with bypass open and closed, add oil until full.
The ZT 2800s have spin on filters. The fluid drains through the filter mounts.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes Thank You- I have the link saved, & have verified my serial numbers as internal expansion unit. It seems my pertinent info & chart begins on page 10 & onward..

Says fluid capacity is 77.23 fl oz for each unit only. But this is also for External expansion units, even tho it is clear it lists this as for the hydro unit alone.

I only drained a total of 118 fl oz outta both combined. Not counting oil filters soaked media.
Okay. Check the level when cold. If there is a slight trickle of oil from the check plug hole, you are good. I do know that the ZT3100s with expansion tanks take about 73oz. per side. That is a little shy of 5 quarts total.

efred

Threads
For future reference, draining when hot will not only drain faster, but any debris in the system will flow out while it is still in suspension. That's been the preference.

Lawn Addict
Threads

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just be aware when external tanks are used the drained fluid amounts can vary as even different length hoses will change the total amount drained. As long as you get very to the spec'd amount you will be okay. It is even note is the service manual about the hoses.

I got engines here that spec 64 oz of oil that can require an additional 8 oz at times. Nothing is ever 100% accurate as there are variables. Even different filters can hold varying amounts of oil depending how they are made.

Lawn Addict
Threads
MParr- your link is from April 2023. The one I was so set on was from 2011. Doh !

No wonder I couldn't see the current info you directed me to.

Thank You for the current link & directing me to page 9. I deleted my obsolete link, & saved your new one. So much has changed.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can report, I have my Liberty hydros purged, & it is now so quiet, smooth & Very responsive.
I tested it for a 1/2 hour then parked it, & looked her over. I still have to put filter guards back on.

I used Amsoil 20w-50 Hydro fluid, & Hydro Gear # 52114 oil filters.

Thanks to all who contributed to my thread.. Much appreciated. 👍

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay. Check the level when cold. If there is a slight trickle of oil from the check plug hole, you are good. I do know that the ZT3100s with expansion tanks take about 73oz. per side. That is a little shy of 5 quarts total.
OK, after the purge & working it for a solid 1/2 hour. Been parked & now good & cold. Checked hydro fluid levels & both are slightly below the level on side fill level ports. Only like maybe 1/8" under...

So, should I top them off again, then call it good.. I just want to be sure.

Last edited: