Hustler Sport Left Arm Has Very Little Power

Bluearrows

Forum Newbie
Threads
My hustler sport has been tracking slightly left.Yesterday it got worse to the point if I needed to go up hill putting the left arm forward it would just make a low whining sound and not move.The right arm is fine and it’s not as noticeable on flat ground.
On flat ground if I put the left arm full forward it will turn right,just slowly and at a wide arc.With the mower off and the seat up I can’t see anything out of place and it feels the same as in pressure as the right arm when I move it with mower offIs it just an adjustment in the arm or something else
Cheers
Justin

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most it will be the LH hydro going out. But first I would the drive belt for slippage.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Just my $0.02 here......

Since you've had this mower.....did you ever have both of the mowers Hydraulic Pumps serviced?

Fluid changed along with both filters changed as well...etc.?

This is where I would first start to diagnose the problem then proceed from there....it's your call.

If do decide to look into this, look in the section of your specific mowers model number Service Manual (one can be downloaded from the website). There will be instructions on how to proceed with this service.

If you don't feel like doing this yourself then take your mower to the shop and have them perform the task?

If you do get the problem resolved please post about your success here on the forum and explain exactly what you did to have your mowers problem corrected and running again.

Good luck and I hope you get the problem resolved....and thanks for posting!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because of the way the belt is routed, the left usually tuns a bit slower than the right due to belt slippage
This causes the left side to wear faster than the right .

Bluearrows

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies,from what i can gather,by looking and checking the manual on the Hustler Sport the hydros "the transmissions are sealed for life and don't require any scheduled service"
Ill try the tracking adjustment to see if that helps

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lube the pivot on the belt tensioner arm and make sure it is free to swing .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks for the replies,from what i can gather,by looking and checking the manual on the Hustler Sport the hydros "the transmissions are sealed for life and don't require any scheduled service"
Ill try the tracking adjustment to see if that helps
Probably something like a Hydro Gear 2100 transaxle. What year is zero turn and how many hours? It will cost a lot to remove and replace transaxle if that is the eventual fix. More than is worth it for the value of equipment often.

Bluearrows

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have seen in a manual the Hydro is sealed but I changed the oil as per the instructions from the Hydro manafacturer but I've still got the same problem right arm fine left arm not.The left arm is very slow to take off and has little power -same in reverse.Ive just noticed this cog brake doesn't spin on the good arm and is as loose as a goose on the bad arm and spins freely whichever position the arm is in.Any thoughts or suggestions ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most likely the cog gear splines are just stripped but while paying close attention rotate the cog gear and see if it slipping on the motor shaft or if firmly attached and shaft is rotating. If the motor shaft is freely rotating then you got internal damage.

Bluearrows

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so Ive checked that out closely and its just the cog gear that is spinning not the motor shaft.Im aiming to swap it with the good cog gear tomorrow or at least take it off to see what the center of the cog gear looks like .If the end of the motor shaft is stripped -do you know if that is replaceable ?
Im in Australia and all i hear from my local lawn mower workshops is its not worth fixing as its too costly to replace the hydro.The mower is in immaculate condition besides this problem and I'm on a pension due to illness and cant afford to replace it.