hustler raptor sd 54"

577jersey

Threads
I find it hard to believe any spray coating will last, when the original paint wears off to bare metal.
Yeah right,,some of my lawns are like sandblasting my deck,,i would never waste my time $$ or energy putting anything on the underside of the deck here..lol

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
I find it hard to believe any spray coating will last, when the original paint wears off to bare metal.
I reapply every spring when I get the deck cleaned up - so it will wear off - it wears off of gravity wagons with corn and wheat rubbing on it - it is a helpful step not the forever answer in one shot. another item is the spray is water based where the can is oil based and last longer - again this isn't for everyone but with my heavy grass with clay based yard it works great. If one item fitted every need there wouldn't be dozens of mower manufacturers and styles -

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
Yeah right,,some of my lawns are like sandblasting my deck,,i would never waste my time $$ or energy putting anything on the underside of the deck here..lol

that would be like our other house - the yard is all sand and it blast everything - I don't bother there as you never have to worry about anything sticking it is so thin and dry over there and that is just across town.

kraky

Threads
We used to sell a fair amount of that stuff in our John Deere dealership. It was called slip plate. Farmers like it just as you say... and we had a few lawn and garden people that did the same thing you are doing. We too are heavy clay with wet grass in Spring. Go 40 miles north of here and it's sand Country... no need to bother with slip plate there.... low lift blades work fine and the decks stay pretty darn spotless. People have to adjust for THEIR particular mowing conditions... sometimes not a whole lot of miles between areas bring on a whole new set of problems or Solutions!

Datadave

Threads
I love my RSD 54 so far,,using it commercially with 40 hours on it so far and its awesome!!
Just take it easy over rough terrain and treat it with TLC,,it will last you a long time,,oh yeah...you might want to flip around the bolts on the back of the hydros so the shank is going through the frame,,and upgrade those to grade 8 lock nut...there is a thread around here on that somewhere...I just flipped my grade 5 around and keep an eye on them once a week...I also added a belt cover mod and a pre filter but thats at your own risk,oh yeah and I took one of the 3 springs out from under the seat and added felt too the other two,,such a nicer ride,,quiet also..no more squeak :)

Hi 577jersey
Do you have pictures/links and or more detail about how to make these mods?
I seen some on the Hydro drive bolts yesterday but the belt cover, pre-filter & seat mods have me lost.
I just bought a hustler raptor SD 54" and want to know anything & everything that could make my life easier
and my mowing experience better :thumbsup:
Thanks
Dave

577jersey

Threads
Hi 577jersey
Do you have pictures/links and or more detail about how to make these mods?
I seen some on the Hydro drive bolts yesterday but the belt cover, pre-filter & seat mods have me lost.
I just bought a hustler raptor SD 54" and want to know anything & everything that could make my life easier
Thanks
Dave
I have a few videos on my youtube channel if you want to browse there you will find the seat mod,belt cover,and pre filter mods.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnukK0Xsvf4rjnfgYYmHP1Q

RhettWS

Threads
Thanks
Dave

The best thing on the mower is the cup holder. Here is how to use it. Go to fridge, grab a tall boy, open and take a good swig, walk to mower, take another swing, get on the mower, take another swig and place the tall boy in the cup holder, start the mower, take a few swigs while warming it up, starting mowing and remember to swig regularly. I guarantee your mowing experience will be better. :drink:

577jersey

Threads
Too much alcohol and power equipment never ends well from my experience..lol

Datadave

Threads
I have a few videos on my youtube channel if you want to browse there you will find the seat mod,belt cover,and pre filter mods.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnukK0Xsvf4rjnfgYYmHP1Q
Thanks 577jersey
I guess the factory or the dealer stole your seat mod idea already (the bean counters would be so proud)
The seat mod is done before I took delivery. Mine only has two seat springs, one on each side, none in the middle.
They saved way more on a spring & bolt than the 2 inches of cheap oil drain hose they shorted me :)

The belt cover mod is very clever - I may try that soon. I have not see the pre-filter mod yet, will look for it later.

Expanding the deck discharge shoot opening as turboawd showed may be good if mowing wet areas but no problem here yet-
so far my problem is dust, not wet grass. Almost drought conditions in this summer heat, but when it rains it rains...

Thanks RhettWS - the cup holder is a fantastic piece of standard equipment.
I filled a big gulp cup with ice & Gatorade and knocked it over the first bush I went under
so I guess your tall boy advice will be taken next time :cool:

1slow5point0h

Threads
The best thing on the mower is the cup holder. Here is how to use it. Go to fridge, grab a tall boy, open and take a good swig, walk to mower, take another swing, get on the mower, take another swig and place the tall boy in the cup holder, start the mower, take a few swigs while warming it up, starting mowing and remember to swig regularly. I guarantee your mowing experience will be better. :drink:

Too dusty around here. It's gotta have a lid or a cap on it for me. I don't like drinking dust/dirt/grass lol