hustler raptor sd 54 modifications

577jersey

Threads
I always run with my decks slightly healed...just a better all around cut IMO.

RhettWS

Threads
TurboAWD: What specifically did you use to cut the notch out on the mower deck? I will be working on mine in the relatively near future.

Thanks ........... Rhett

kraky

Threads
If you have a Harbor Freight outlet near you I bet you can find a tool pretty reasonable. I think they offer a 4-inch hand-held grinder that you can put in a grinding stone on, cutting disc, or a floppy sanding disc for about 40 bucks. Floppy sanding disc on one of those would be Dynamite for sharpening really curvy lawn mower blades and mulching blades.

RhettWS

Threads
I have the grinder already. Was just wondering specifically what type of wheel he used. I do use it to sharpen blades but you have to be pretty careful to not heat up the blade to much. Otherwise it works great for all sort of needs.

577jersey

Threads
I have the grinder already. Was just wondering specifically what type of wheel he used. I do use it to sharpen blades but you have to be pretty careful to not heat up the blade to much. Otherwise it works great for all sort of needs.
Harbor Freight,Home Depot,or Lowes,,get yourself a 4" or 4-1/2" metal cut off wheel/disc depending on what size your angle grinder is..its much thinner than a grinding stone....Id say maybe 1/8" thick no more...use an angle grinder,you can get a decent one at HF for $15.

Also if you use a 40 grit Flap Wheel on the grinder you wont have the problem of heating up or bluing the metal on the blades any more,,they cut very cool and leave a much better finish on a blade IMO :)

turboawd

Threads
TurboAWD: What specifically did you use to cut the notch out on the mower deck? I will be working on mine in the relatively near future.

Thanks ........... Rhett

i thought about using a cutoff wheel, but was afraid the heat would burn the paint a little on the edges. so i ended up just using a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. it cut real easy.

577jersey

Threads
i thought about using a cutoff wheel, but was afraid the heat would burn the paint a little on the edges. so i ended up just using a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. it cut real easy.
Yeah the cutoff wheel might and prolly will burn off the paint on the edge,,but Im not worried about that,paint is falling off my mower everyday..I gotta get some touch up...If Im going to cut the deck its going to be the whole opening,not just the little triangle.

RhettWS

Threads
Thanks for the insight from everyone. :thumbsup: I have a sawzall too. If it cuts that easy I will probably use that to make the cut. I'll probably take the corner out first. If that is not enough, I'll whittle on it some more.

As the saying goes, "Whats time to a hog?"

turboawd

Threads
Yeah the cutoff wheel might and prolly will burn off the paint on the edge,,but Im not worried about that,paint is falling off my mower everyday..I gotta get some touch up...If Im going to cut the deck its going to be the whole opening,not just the little triangle.

I don't think there is enough support to cut out the whole opening. Usually mowers with full openings, have reinforcement around the top.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think there is enough support to cut out the whole opening. Usually mowers with full openings, have reinforcement around the top.

Im sure he will find out the first time he hits something and folds the side of the deck in and it makes contact with a rotating blade.