Export thread

Hustler Fastrac HD ride SUCKS

P

PA Weldor

I previously owned a commercial Hustler 340 with the 4 cyl Kubota diesel engine. It was getting up there in age, so I decided to buy a new machine. I chose the Hustler Fastrac HD with the 60" deck. The first time I mowed with it I noticed it rode ROUGH. I checked the tire pressure (supposed to be 8-12 psi) and they were way overinflated. I set all tires at 10 psi. Through the spring when ground is relatively soft, it rode great. Now that the summer heat has hardened the ground, it again rides like a Mack truck being pulled through a boulder field on it's roof.

One thing I've noticed is the seat is directly mounted on the hinged access cover to the battery and hydraulic motors. The only suspension is two small springs under the cover. I know they make a seat suspension kit, but, I figure when one buys a $7,000 mower, it should already be included.

Also, the drive tires/wheels could be larger. I have a neighbor who owns a Hustler Z and his drive tires are much larger than mine. Larger tires, equals softer ride.

Anyone looked at the aftermarket seats available for these things? I'm about ready to trade in my new mower for something that doesn't compress my spine every time I mow. It's so bad that my eye glasses pop out of the pocket on my tee shirt.

G

gabowman

Got the same mower and I just slow down in the rough areas. Let me know if you find a good suspension seat.

P

PA Weldor

Got the same mower and I just slow down in the rough areas. Let me know if you find a good suspension seat.

I just ordered this item on ebay. It's made in USA and is a OEM on many mowers. I should have it next week, and I'll post my review of the product after that.

Ebay item #

Description:
SEAT SUSPENSION FOR EXMARK,KUBOTA,JOHN DEERE Z TRAK,TORO,HUSTLER ZTR LAWN MOWERS.

D

DK35vince

You may want to consider flex forks also.
Added them to my Super Z this year and they do help.

P

PA Weldor

Received the seat suspension kit yesterday. Installed it this a.m. It's a direct fit and works great. After mounting I rode the mower around the roughest parts of our lawn. What an improvement.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Received the seat suspension kit yesterday. Installed it this a.m. It's a direct fit and works great. After mounting I rode the mower around the roughest parts of our lawn. What an improvement.

I wish other users complaining about the ride on their ZTR would read this thread with your "same mower before/after" comments. I hear some swear that the Flex Forks(Bad Boys have similar front suspension upgrade and the Ferris have springs) give a better ride, but IMHO if your suspension seat is "cushioned" based upon your weight(most full suspension seats are adjustable based upon the rider's weight) you're gonna be comfortable. I still have reservations about cut quality suffering when wheel suspension kits are added.

P.S.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP(user PA Weldor) that Hustler "should" include a full suspension seat on the FasTrak SD(at $7,000)!!!! I narrowed my choices in the Fall of 2012 to the 52" Gravely Pro-Turn 100 XDZ, a 54" Hustler FasTrak SD, a 52" Dixon DX-100 and a 54"Bad Boy Outlaw. The seat on the Hustler was a turnoff, along with the dealer not wanting to "budge" on the $7,000 sticker price, making my Gravely an easy choice for $6,800 OTD and it came with a full suspension seat standard.

P

PA Weldor

I wish other users complaining about the ride on their ZTR would read this thread with your "same mower before/after" comments. I hear some swear that the Flex Forks(Bad Boys have similar front suspension upgrade and the Ferris have springs) give a better ride, but IMHO if your suspension seat is "cushioned" based upon your weight(most full suspension seats are adjustable based upon the rider's weight) you're gonna be comfortable. I still have reservations about cut quality suffering when wheel suspension kits are added.

P.S.

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP(user PA Weldor) that Hustler "should" include a full suspension seat on the FasTrak SD(at $7,000)!!!! I narrowed my choices in the Fall of 2012 to the 52" Gravely Pro-Turn 100 XDZ, a 54" Hustler FasTrak SD, a 52" Dixon DX-100 and a 54"Bad Boy Outlaw. The seat on the Hustler was a turnoff, along with the dealer not wanting to "budge" on the $7,000 sticker price, making my Gravely an easy choice for $6,800 OTD and it came with a full suspension seat standard.

I also question the cut quality with installed 'flex forks'. Wonder how much scalping will occur?

djdicetn

djdicetn

I also question the cut quality with installed 'flex forks'. Wonder how much scalping will occur?

I've always consider the suspension add-ons as gimmicks(or else ALL manufacturers would offer them rather than a handful), but another user with a Hustler Super Z contends it definitely improved the ride and had no effect on the cut quality(I wondered about scalping too). It's hard to argue with experience but I'd still spend my money on a full suspension seat before I added FF's.

Carscw

Carscw

I see no need for any of this.

So with all this not feeling the bumps people will mow faster and then ask why does my mower cut like crap.
The mower is still hitting the bump and or holes so the mower is still feeling the abuse.

Just my 2 cents.

P

PA Weldor

So with all this not feeling the bumps people will mow faster and then ask why does my mower cut like crap.
The mower is still hitting the bump and or holes so the mower is still feeling the abuse.

Just my 2 cents.

With sharp blades the Hustler will mow very efficiently at top speed. That's why they have such a high acreage per hour mowing ability.

And, that's my two cents....

M

Micko

Just my 2 cents.

You can only mow as fast as the deck and engine will allow! If your cutting a lot off then you'll have to slow down whether you have suspension or not.
But if regular cutting over rough ground, you can mow much faster.

I went from a Super Z non suspension (just the seat) to a new Super Z with flex forks and seat and well, its night and day!

Flex forks can cause a few problems though. For one, you need to slow down steadily before a turn or the front will dip. This can be counter acted by feathering the deck.
Mowing across slopes you can get more of a terraced look but I used to get that with the old machine so how much difference is really unknown.
If you drop a wheel into a whole you can get a bit more scalping than a regular fork. But you still get that scalp either way. Again, feather the deck!

I had my doubts about Flex forks originally but I have to say, I was wrong about them. Far less trouble than I thought they would be!

One other thing about the abuse, the suspension is between the frame and the ground so in fact, its better for the machine than not having them. Less jolting impacts on the front! Rear is another matter though for sure!

Carscw

Carscw

You can only mow as fast as the deck and engine will allow! If your cutting a lot off then you'll have to slow down whether you have suspension or not. But if regular cutting over rough ground, you can mow much faster. I went from a Super Z non suspension (just the seat) to a new Super Z with flex forks and seat and well, its night and day! Flex forks can cause a few problems though. For one, you need to slow down steadily before a turn or the front will dip. This can be counter acted by feathering the deck. Mowing across slopes you can get more of a terraced look but I used to get that with the old machine so how much difference is really unknown. If you drop a wheel into a whole you can get a bit more scalping than a regular fork. But you still get that scalp either way. Again, feather the deck! I had my doubts about Flex forks originally but I have to say, I was wrong about them. Far less trouble than I thought they would be! One other thing about the abuse, the suspension is between the frame and the ground so in fact, its better for the machine than not having them. Less jolting impacts on the front! Rear is another matter though for sure!

I still say it is a waste of money and not needed.

D

DK35vince

Then take the beating and don't get it.
Me I'll stick with my suspension seat , flex forks and smoother ride.

Carscw

Carscw

Then take the beating and don't get it. Me I'll stick with my suspension seat , flex forks and smoother ride.

Did not mean to make you mad.
I just never have used any type if mower that that have me a beating.

M

Micko

I find that pretty funny really! Do your ride ons have springs under the seat? Why? Technically, there not needed! But there worth having there arent they!

No, flex forks arent technically needed but man, they do improve the ride!

Does anyone technically need full suspension seat to operate a mower? No they dont but, how much better is the ride compared to the old cheap springs! Chalk and cheese brother!

Waste of money? Hmmm, NOPE! Well worth the extra costs! For both sus' seat and forks! Seat first though!

D

DK35vince

Did not mean to make you mad.
You didn't make me mad.
We just have a difference of opinion.
You believe suspension seat and flex forks are a waste of money. That's fine.
I believe my suspension seat and flex forks was money well spent. They do make a difference.

Carscw

Carscw

You didn't make me mad. We just have a difference of opinion. You believe suspension seat and flex forks are a waste of money. That's fine. I believe my suspension seat and flex forks was money well spent. They do make a difference.

Maybe some day I will try them.

M

MPW1216

+1 on the flex forks. Made a noticable difference in ride and well worth the cost. As for scalping, negligable versus fixed forks. Personally think flex forks should be standard issue. :thumbsup:

MPW

Nickwilkins

Nickwilkins

I recently bought the fastrak SD 54", later added the flex forks and just added a suspension kit for the seat from eBay for $125 shipped. In my opinion, they were both well worth the money. I have yet to scalp anything. I mow some areas that are VERY rough and it has been a night and day difference. Now that the ride is smoother I can mow about 30% quicker in the tough areas and haven't noticed a change in the cut quality. However I have only mowed twice since the seat kit was added.

S

specman

I recently bought the fastrak SD 54", later added the flex forks and just added a suspension kit for the seat from eBay for $125 shipped. In my opinion, they were both well worth the money. I have yet to scalp anything. I mow some areas that are VERY rough and it has been a night and day difference. Now that the ride is smoother I can mow about 30% quicker in the tough areas and haven't noticed a change in the cut quality. However I have only mowed twice since the seat kit was added.
Who wants to feel like they went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after a weekend of grass cutting. Not me. If it's comfortable and you are satisfied with the job it produces, go for it.

Nickwilkins

Nickwilkins

Who wants to feel like they went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after a weekend of grass cutting. Not me. If it's comfortable and you are satisfied with the job it produces, go for it.
the point I was trying to make is with the flex forks and suspension seat kit it has a very comfortable ride even on rough terrain. So the add ons are well worth the money.

gfp55

gfp55

I previously owned a commercial Hustler 340 with the 4 cyl Kubota diesel engine. It was getting up there in age, so I decided to buy a new machine. I chose the Hustler Fastrac HD with the 60" deck. The first time I mowed with it I noticed it rode ROUGH. I checked the tire pressure (supposed to be 8-12 psi) and they were way overinflated. I set all tires at 10 psi. Through the spring when ground is relatively soft, it rode great. Now that the summer heat has hardened the ground, it again rides like a Mack truck being pulled through a boulder field on it's roof.

One thing I've noticed is the seat is directly mounted on the hinged access cover to the battery and hydraulic motors. The only suspension is two small springs under the cover. I know they make a seat suspension kit, but, I figure when one buys a $7,000 mower, it should already be included.

Also, the drive tires/wheels could be larger. I have a neighbor who owns a Hustler Z and his drive tires are much larger than mine. Larger tires, equals softer ride.

Anyone looked at the aftermarket seats available for these things? I'm about ready to trade in my new mower for something that doesn't compress my spine every time I mow. It's so bad that my eye glasses pop out of the pocket on my tee shirt.

I was wondering if you checked the air pressure is your tires after the heat of summer. If you put air in your tires and it was cool outside, the psi will have changed to a higher psi when the outside temp is hotter.

S

specman

the point I was trying to make is with the flex forks and suspension seat kit it has a very comfortable ride even on rough terrain. So the add ons are well worth the money.
I am agreeing with you my friend.

M

MRCo.

I was wondering if you checked the air pressure is your tires after the heat of summer. If you put air in your tires and it was cool outside, the psi will have changed to a higher psi when the outside temp is hotter.

Interesting point, but the difference should be negligible.

I've had a good number of customers add the flex forks and the only reports have been glowing- everyone is very happy, no scalping or cut issues reported.

I will mention that if you've never experienced flex forks in the flesh you may be surprised when you do. Out of the box you cannot move them by hand. Once on the machine it takes body weight to move them. They are not the soft, floppy hinged rig some folks think they are. I think they serve a purpose, and do it well.

R

Rono5

I tried out a 3 yr old Fastrak today and was surprised by the rough bumpy ride. I think it was because there is a latch on the seat/access cover. That latch only allows the seat to travel up and down about an inch. That is not enough distance for the seat springs to work. It is was always bottoming out against the frame.

I can guess that such a poor setup has to do with some safety rule - Like if the mower rolls that seat could pop open against the rider.

B

bertsmobile1

Well again, it all comes down to the money that no one wants to spend.
A friend owns a small ( 2 man ) earth moving company.
Occasionally he brings in one of his skid steers for me to do work on the Kohler engine.
It is fitted with an aftermarket air ride seat which would be difficult to stay awake in as it is so comfortable.
Downside was it cost $ 1500.
They were so happy with it they bought 4 more for their other plant which includes a Toro reelmower converted to flail.
As they said $ 7500 is a lot cheaper than a kidney or spinal operation and in reallity it just means running the current plant a couple of extra years

BlazNT

BlazNT

Or you can pick this up for $449 and put your own seat on it.
https://ztrpuffer.com/

B

bertsmobile1

Or you can pick this up for $449 and put your own seat on it.
https://ztrpuffer.com/

Hope you get a commission from all the extra sales hey will be making next week :thumbsup:

BlazNT

BlazNT

Hope you get a commission from all the extra sales hey will be making next week :thumbsup:

I wish. The only reason I found this is my brother was asking about a suspension seat and in my normal fashion of being very thorough I found air ride. So I started looking for that too. Well what do you know. There are a few companys that make them. Top of the line as you where talking about down to this one that gets good reviews.