Husqvarna Z 246 (no start)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it cranks with the key when the two yellow wires are bridged and does not work when the switch is connected ( pto off ) then the you are correct & the switch is not bridging the wires as it should.
Thus the PTO switch looks like being the guilty party all along.
When doing a diagnosis on mowers, I pull all of the plugs off and jump the plugs as the switches would have done.
I no longer try to instruct owners how to do this after one managed to cross the plug diagonally and burned the magneto out then PMed me endlessly demanding I stump up for the new coils .
The terminals on the outside of the PTO switch extend exactly as they are on the outside inside the switch.
Inside there is a slide with some brass strips that either connect or disconnect the opposing flats of the terminals.
They all connect left right, there is no diagonal or complex bridging,
The brass strips are quite thin and easily burned, worn through or as one poster here found can have ants nesting in there.

Because you posted the photo I did not bother to download the wiring schematic .
There was no need till we confirmed weather you had both power & ground to the solenoid & that the solenoid was in fact working .
The wiring schematic for most Husqvarnas is at the end of the owners manuals .
However most are wired basically the same .
The cranking circuit is a daisy chain from the key switch through the PTO & Brake switches to the solenoid.
On ZTR's it may also go through both lap bars, or the lap bars might control the ground if it has a 4 pole solenoid like in your photo.
The key is the wiring colours
A plain black wire is generally a plain ground
A black wire with a coloured trace is usually a switched ground which is why I asked you to test for a ground on the Black/white wire.

Last edited:

atendog33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Bertsmobile1, Lawn World and anyone who helped with the thread. I really appreciate that you would take the time out of your schedule to help us. I sleep well knowing that there are good people like you in the world.

I don’t know much about mowers, but I know cars and I am notorious for assisting people on the car forums. Thank you for all that you do! It means a lot. I hope you are blessed for all that you do. I will keep you posted about the progress. As soon as the PTO arrives, I will let you know. Thank you very much.

atendog33

Forum Newbie
Threads
The PTO fixed the mower. Thank you very much!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And thank you for hanging in there and even more so for the follow up to close the thread.
For every one who posts a problem, a lot lurk in the background seeking answers in private and forthem long threads like this where we have worked through a problem methodically and come to a conclusion that worked will be of great use to them.