Husqvarna yth2348 flywheel help needed

bdp71

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna yth2348. I believe the flywheel key is sheared. Battery is fully charged and starter is engaging flywheel fine, but it rattles and backfires out of air intake when trying to start. Does anyone have videos or instructions available on how to remove the flywheel and replace the key? Also, will I need a puller or can this be done without one? Thanks.

pile81

Threads
Twin or single cylinder and make of engine?

pile81

Threads
I'm assuming its a twin 23hp with a 48, inch deck

pile81

Threads
Once thw flywheel is exposed you should be able to remove the retaining bolt or nut and see the flywheel key, if the slots aren't lined up its sheared, if that's not the problem check your rocker arm gap on the valves that can cause a backfire thru the intake....

bdp71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Once thw flywheel is exposed you should be able to remove the retaining bolt or nut and see the flywheel key, if the slots aren't lined up its sheared, if that's not the problem check your rocker arm gap on the valves that can cause a backfire thru the intake....

Well, it turned out to be something different. As I was adjusting the rocker arms, I noticed that one of my pistons was not moving as I turned the flywheel. I would think it's a broken piston arm, right? My question now is this, how do I remove the piston? It is now up inside the cylinder and does not push out.

TnHusky

Threads
Well, it turned out to be something different. As I was adjusting the rocker arms, I noticed that one of my pistons was not moving as I turned the flywheel. I would think it's a broken piston arm, right? My question now is this, how do I remove the piston? It is now up inside the cylinder and does not push out.

That is bad news indeed. There are several ways to do this but usually the block will need to come apart as well as the head's will need to be pulled. There's usually more damage done inside a engine that breaks a rod as well but only a visual inspection will determine that.

bdp71

Forum Newbie
Threads
WHOA!!! I don't know where to start. Got the sump off and there's shrapnel everywhere. Broken piston rod must've acted like a grenade in there. Camshaft bent, both cylinders cracked, piece of sump broken (? the part of sump that has short rod that goes from camshaft to sump, not sure what it's called?), a few teeth stripped on crankshaft. Looks like the only things salvagable are one of the pistons, one of the cylinder heads, both sets of valves are ok.

I need advice from someone smarter than me on these things. Is it going to be cheaper to buy another engine, or buy parts and re-build? If another engine is the answer, besides checking ebay or craigslist, where is the best place to buy new/used engines.

Thanks.