Husqvarna YTH2042 Valve Adjustment Issue

vern66

Threads
Ok here it is. Oh BTW I didn't answer your question about that broken piece you found... Yes that is the ACR.... I might have your cam in stock.... I'll look in used parts section..

Here's the link.. There is a comedy skit at the beginning if you want to skip it....

https://youtu.be/dWHPHGZAvj4

I viewed the Video for installing the Camshaft. Seems to me to be clear and especially the alignment positions.
I checked another engine part witch (to me) seems to be rather Fragile and believe it must be the governor since it connects to the outside carburetor area. This item is also damaged (broken) and will need to be replaced.

Earlier today I did some lookups regarding available parts (camshaft, seal, mid engine gasket, head gasket. etc) and the camshaft plus gasket and the two "stems" that the cam rubs on -- and the prices range from around $40. to $65.
I may not need the Head Gasket.

I have not searched for the governor.

You indicated you may have the cam. Regarding shipping -- Where are you located and have you priced it

Note: the risers on the camshaft don't show any type of ware due to usage. I got this Mower used but without the mower deck and close to 2 years later got the Junker YTH2348 which had a 48 inch mower that could be repaired, welded, etc plus it had an automated clutch assembly -- both of which ended up on the original YTH2042 mower and worked well until this engine problem.

Let me know if you have the mentioned parts and pricing.

My Regards, Vern....

Threads
I viewed the Video for installing the Camshaft. Seems to me to be clear and especially the alignment positions.
I checked another engine part witch (to me) seems to be rather Fragile and believe it must be the governor since it connects to the outside carburetor area. This item is also damaged (broken) and will need to be replaced.

Earlier today I did some lookups regarding available parts (camshaft, seal, mid engine gasket, head gasket. etc) and the camshaft plus gasket and the two "stems" that the cam rubs on -- and the prices range from around $40. to $65.
I may not need the Head Gasket.

I have not searched for the governor.

You indicated you may have the cam. Regarding shipping -- Where are you located and have you priced it

Note: the risers on the camshaft don't show any type of ware due to usage. I got this Mower used but without the mower deck and close to 2 years later got the Junker YTH2348 which had a 48 inch mower that could be repaired, welded, etc plus it had an automated clutch assembly -- both of which ended up on the original YTH2042 mower and worked well until this engine problem.

Let me know if you have the mentioned parts and pricing.

My Regards, Vern....

I will have more info on the parts tomorrow when I go to my big shop..... I don't have the engine here in my small shop at home....

You would be better off with the entire gasket kit because it has a head gasket in it and one of these days yours will go out........ They are notorious for blowing on that engine just like the ACR's on the cams or a common issue...........

I knew your problem right away when I saw your post.....

I sent you a PM on here so I can give you more info......... Check your alert box on top of the page....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

vern66

Threads
I will have more info on the parts tomorrow when I go to my big shop..... I don't have the engine here in my small shop at home....

You would be better off with the entire gasket kit because it has a head gasket in it and one of these days yours will go out........ They are notorious for blowing on that engine just like the ACR's on the cams or a common issue...........

I knew your problem right away when I saw your post.....

I sent you a PM on here so I can give you more info......... Check your alert box on top of the page....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

I am not certain what this is or means -- Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~! --
Hwever, thanks for the information of how to access your Private Message to me. I have been away most of the day. Seems after my getting older (now age 86) that our Doctors like to visit with me more frequent -- [Grin]....

Thanks for your Telephone Number. I will call you around 600 PM this evening -- hoping that will give you enough time to get home from work.

Vern....

Threads
No problem on the time to call I work for myself so I can talk anytime...... Plus Tard is french for "later" or "see ya later"

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For the benefit of Vern & any one else who reads this thread.
NEVER EVER replace an old head gasket on any engine unless it is solid copper & you have annealed it.
The same can be said for a lot of other gaskets like carburettor & manifold gaskets.
Most small engines use the crankcase gasket to set the crankshaft end float so they should always be replaced.
In fact I can not think of a single gasket on a mower engine that is safe to reuse apart from the air box to carb gasket & now days most of them are rubber O rings.
Gaskets external & internal on cube carbs ( chain saws etc ) should also be replaced and not reused

Threads
Update on Vern's mower..............

I got the parts shipped to him through my distributor....... New camshaft, governor and gasket set .... Governor was damaged according to him...

He received the parts on Friday the the 5th of October....... Got it all back together and he was putting the flywheel back on using a steel key and ended up breaking the flywheel.....

So he contacted me to see if I had a used one .... I did and shipped it to him plus 2 aluminum keys in case... He put the flywheel on yesterday and she fired right up....... Now just to put the air shroud back on and he will be cutting grass once more......

He went with the gasket set in case his head gasket goes out in the future like most of those engines do.....

Most problems on this forum is cams and head gaskets on those style engines......

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!

vern66

Threads
Update on Vern's mower..............

I got the parts shipped to him through my distributor....... New camshaft, governor and gasket set .... Governor was damaged according to him...

He received the parts on Friday the the 5th of October....... Got it all back together and he was putting the flywheel back on using a steel key and ended up breaking the flywheel.....

So he contacted me to see if I had a used one .... I did and shipped it to him plus 2 aluminum keys in case... He put the flywheel on yesterday and she fired right up....... Now just to put the air shroud back on and he will be cutting grass once more......

He went with the gasket set in case his head gasket goes out in the future like most of those engines do.....

Most problems on this forum is cams and head gaskets on those style engines......

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!

-------------------------------------------
Conclusion with Comments. 10-15-2018

I had not viewed the Forum in several days to read the last post by -- Boudreaux in Eunica La -- which is a very good and concise summary of activities and final results. So, I will limit my comments to how impressed and pleased I am with the help provided by this Forum Member, (Boo). Also, his (and others on this Forum ) dedication to helping others.

His diagnosis of the issue was almost immediate which obviously is due to his dedication, knowledge, and experience. It was indeed a pleasure and appreciated. Also, I now have a Friend in La -- [Grin]....

One comment I would like to make for anyone that is requesting help (on this Forum) with an issue with their Equipment, Engines, Mowers, etc -- is to provide adequate description of the issue plus correct identifications (Make, Model, Serial Numbers, etc) as well as best know explanation of the current problem plus any attempts to correct. "My Engine will not start" certainly does NOT provide anyone with what is needed in order to be helpful with diagnosing and solving the issue.

I also suggest the we (when possible) place our New (or Used) parts orders through those that help plus include a small $ token of appreciation -- as appropriate.

My Regards to ALL, Vern....