Husqvarna RZ5424 Wheel Rims keep tearing

Hinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm on my second set of tires for my ZT. The left rear wheel rim continues to tear bigger holes where the screw threads push through. Eventually the holes are bigger than the nut. Obviously the rims are tearing over time with the back and forth, but why is it only happening on the left tire? Is there any way to repair this without ordering new rims?

Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You probably need to replace the studs and lug nuts then use a torque to tighten them to 75 ft-lbs. The studs are probably damage from the first time the wheel tore out.

Hinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
You probably need to replace the studs and lug nuts then use a torque to tighten them to 75 ft-lbs. The studs are probably damage from the first time the wheel tore out.
What are the studs?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The item points to by the arrows a studs. They are replaceable. They are RH threaded.
Studs.png
Be thankful that they didn't use Lug bolts which I haven't seen in several years.

Hinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, studs appear to be in good condition (no stripping, etc). But the lug nuts need replacing. If I install with a washer and torque to 75lb would that suffice? I'm afraid the rims are gone but maybe i can get a little more life.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They still slip back and forth making the holes even bigger while damaging the stud threads. The hole in the rims are counter sunk so the tapered lugs nuts will clamp them into position tightly. This done because of the torque that these experience in operation. Just using washers the rims will slip under torque.

It is best to bite the bullet and get new or a reclaimed (used good) rim. Just trying to redneck patch things is just prolonging the problem while causing more damage. But at least it is not as bad as the mower blade that I seen duct taped on.

Hinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
? Thanks for the tips!

Hinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
They still slip back and forth making the holes even bigger while damaging the stud threads. The hole in the rims are counter sunk so the tapered lugs nuts will clamp them into position tightly. This done because of the torque that these experience in operation. Just using washers the rims will slip under torque.

It is best to bite the bullet and get new or a reclaimed (used good) rim. Just trying to redneck patch things is just prolonging the problem while causing more damage. But at least it is not as bad as the mower blade that I seen duct taped on.

Upon further inspection you are right: the studs are damaged!

But how do I remove them? The inside head is round and can't be turned. I am reluctant to punch through and tear up the threads inside the mount (i can't tell if it is threaded inside or not).

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Upon further inspection you are right: the studs are damaged!

But how do I remove them? The inside head is round and can't be turned. I am reluctant to punch through and tear up the threads inside the mount (i can't tell if it is threaded inside or not).
But that is exactly how you remove them. They are straight knurled and the new ones are installed by pull them into place using the lug nut turn over backwards and a two or three large washers.

This the same as automobile axle studs are done.