Husqvarna M-ZT 61 which engine

Threads
Hi I'm new here and I'm looking to buy a M-ZT 61next weekend. My question is do I buy the 27 HP Briggs or pay the extra I think 400 to get the 23 HP Kawasaki. I talked to the mechanic at the dealer he said pay the extra. He said the have had a few Briggs motors come back. Don't know if he was just saying that or what. He said the Kawasaki has more power than what's advertised.

I will be using this mower only for my yard. My yard is about 4 acres. The backyard is kind of thick so I hope either one will throw the grass and not just lay it down. Thanks and please give reasons to why 1 is better than the other. Don't want brand bashing saying o Briggs sucks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are several ways to look at this.
Briggs and Kawasaki horse power ratings are determined by two different rating criteria, I have no idea why, but their actual HPs are close to each other.
I have a Scag Tiger Cub that I repowered with a Briggs Commercial Turf Series engine which is similar to the Briggs engine offered on the M ZT 61. I like this engine, it has lots of power, fuel consumption is very acceptable, runs great, air filter is easily cleaned by tapping it to shake off the dust. There is also an engine oil cooler installed on it.
I also have a Hustler X-ONE with A Kawasaki FX730V engine, also a great engine and with a Donaldson two stage air filter.
The Kawasaki FS engine also offered on the M ZT 61 has a standard air filter.
You can go to kawpower.com find the FS series engines and look at their specs.
If you were to buy either of these engines, you will find that the Briggs is about $1,000 and the Kawasaki is about $1,800.
You can go to equipatron.com and compare the Briggs Commercial Turf 27 HP and Kawasaki FS691V 23 HP engines pricing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Kawakasi is built to much closer tollerances than the Briggs or Kohlers.
This costs a lot more money hense the extra price.
Both of them are well & truely up to the job and both will give you good service if you look after them.
The Kwaka might run a year or two longer than the Briggs before it needs major work but when it does it will cost more to repair.
And in most cases this will be a problem for the 2nd or 3rd owner.

Threads
Well after some issues I got my mower today. The first dealer couldn't get a Kawasaki for at least 2 weeks. So I called a second dealer and they had one and the quoted me 6500 with 2 trimmers, backpack blower, and a chainsaw. I got there at 9 am to them trying to sell me a low end Ferris mower. I rode a higher end ferris before and hated it. So I told them I will take the husqvarna. He goes well if you don't need all the accessories he will make me a good deal. I'm thinking OK cool whats the price. They told me 6199 plus tax.

I laughed and said I can get all the goodies from the other dealer for 6500 out the door. So they went back to work and the gave me the price with all the goodies and it came out to almost 8000. I laughed and walked out and said I can save a lot more at the other place. I called the first dealer up and they were going to let me take home a demo unit. I get there and they walk outside and see a Kawasaki with 4 hours on it and told me they will give it to me for the price of the Briggs so I took it. Walked out the door for just over 6500 with 4 accessories plus the sales guy gave me another coupon to mail out for 10% back because he hates this promotion for husqvarna.

I have only mowed part of my yard and so far it seems like a nice mower. The only thing I don't like so far is that it doesn't spread the clippings. It leaves them in a row. Maybe its causey yard hasn't been cut in 2 weeks and its tall.