Husqvarna Engine swap

Bibbybukat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2011 Husqvarna riding mower with a 24hp blown engine and was wondering if i could take my 1998 18hp engine from my Troy Bilt and install it onto the Husqvarna. Thanks

gainestruk

Threads
You can swap most any engine, you will need to see if the shaft size are the same and length of shaft are same, is the Engine a single or a twin, if it is a flat head opposed twin you might have clearance issue with the hood of tractor, also if tractor now has an electric clutch for pto and the swap Engine does not it might not charge enough to keep battery charged and run electric pto, we need more info on engines, what is the numbers off the 98 engine and what is in the Husqvarna now ?

chobbs1957

Threads
Two other components to check include muffler and choke. A lot of engine mufflers are designed to squeeze into the available space. Choke may be part of throttle or separate cable. Oh, further, be sure the hood space will accommodate the new engine, especially if it's bigger. Engine bolt holes may have to be redrilled or tapped.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All lawn tractor motors are interchangeable within very broad bands.
All domestic engines will interchange with each other and all commercial engines will interchange with each other.
So it is just a matter of having the same shaft sizes.
As already noted mufflers are a problem because they are part of the tractor not the engine.
Controls usually are not a problem but you might need a longer or shorter cable.
Fuel delivery also needs to be watched because some are gravity feed while others are pumped and not all engines have an impulse port to hook a pump up to but if your tractor has a gravity tank, no worries.
Last thing to take into account is the pulleys & belts.
If you simply put the 24Hp ones on the 18Hp the mower will be under powered which is no great deal as long as you are willing to accept mowing a bit slower and you might need to take lighter cuts to prevent the engine bogging down.
If you leave the 18Hp pulleys on the engine and they line up, you might find the blades go too slow or the belts will not fit as smaller engines tend to have smaller drive pulleys.

I am not trying to discourage you in any way shape or form I spend a lot of time swapping out blown engines both up & down in Hp.
It has been my opinion for DOMESTIC ride ons most are grossly overpowered in the first place somewhat like cars, they are all much the same so the easiest selling point is a bigger more powerful engine.