Husqvarna Automower

Perry

Threads
Other Alternatives

It seems it'll be a long wait for the Honda Miimo and
much the same for the Bosch Indego. And that's for
the rest of the world. Lil ol' New Zealand will be - as
usual - well behind those release dates.

Neither the Honda nor Bosch offering seem to have
anything close to the 6000 square meter area capacity
of the automower 260, either.

playpen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some of the literature mentions Twin wire or Dual guide wires... there was definitely 2 separate wires in the run...
The Robomow would also find spots that it could get 'trapped', once identified they were easily corrected.

A UPS would surely be the simple solution... there should not be a very big amp draw during communication while running without external grid powering the perimeter.... :smile:KennyV

I've been researching the robo mowers... I think I can address both topics:

Guide wires--
"Single" vs. "dual" with regards to the Automower is stating the number of optional "guide" wires supported by the model. These are separate from the border wire.

Guide wires allow alternate paths to/from the charger to either bypass complicated border structures (keep-out loops that the mower takes two turn around when following the border), navigate through narrow passages, or simply optimize travel to zones. Guide wires attach to the charger on one end and attach to the border wire on the other end to form additional signal loops.

Power outages--
The mower must always "hear" the border signal while operating, even when not up against it as an edge. If the mower strays outside 100 ft from a wire or the signal is disrupted via a cut or power outage, it will shut off with an "out of border" alarm.

Perry

Threads
Power outages--
The mower must always "hear" the border signal while operating, even when not up
against it as an edge. If the mower strays outside 100 ft from a wire or the signal is
disrupted via a cut or power outage, it will shut off with an "out of border" alarm.

Interesting. Where were you lucky enough to glean that information from, I wonder?

With the new 260 having an advertised area capacity of 5500 - 6000 meters square
(59200 - 64583 square feet), I would guess that it would not be hard for it to get
100 feet (30.5 meters) away from a boundary wire, in some part of the mowing area.

Perhaps a guide wire would also be a substitute for the mower to use to listen for
any mains power outage? That might help keep it within that 100' range figure?

Danny2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interesting. Where were you lucky enough to glean that information from, I wonder?

With the new 260 having an advertised area capacity of 5500 - 6000 meters square
(59200 - 64583 square feet), I would guess that it would not be hard for it to get
100 feet (30.5 meters) away from a boundary wire, in some part of the mowing area.

Perhaps a guide wire would also be a substitute for the mower to use to listen for
any mains power outage? That might help keep it within that 100' range figure?

The info is available from husqvarna's web site, go to support, download manuals, and download. (That being said, you cannot download a manual for each model, there are only a couple of models listed.)
As well, the dual wire is not the 2 "guide wires" mentioned by the previous poster, it is a different system of boundary wires. I have yet to be able to figure out exactly what the dual wire system is, but, if you go to husqvarna's web site, and compare models, some use a single wire, most use the newer dual wire. ( All models still can use the "guide wires")

I am very interested in purchasing one of these, but, cannot find info on things like "how close to the edge of the mower will the blades cut?" (Kind of defeats the purpose of an automwer, if I have to follow it with a trimmer, & pick up the edges the robot didn't get.). If anyone knows where to get more info?
Thanks

Perry

Threads
Danny2

I wish it were that simple. As observed by another poster, Husqvarna make strenuous
efforts to avoid any meaningful contact with the end consumer of their products. Not
only that, but Husqvarna seem to delight in discrimination-by-region/nation/locality.

I have already downloaded a manual for the 260 ACX. But there is also a "265 ACX."

Huh?

I'm going to do some more down-loading, manual reading and digging before further
commenting on those matters.

For now, it seems fair to say that Husqvarna presumes all end product consumers to
be idiots, from whom no thoughtful and reasonable questions might come in an effort
to make them better informed, efficient and effective product users.

Regarding:
how close to the edge of the mower will the blades cut?
. . . it seems that it's not a matter of how close to the outer edge of the mower body
that the blades reach to, but how far 'across' the boundary wire the mower will track,
thereby bringing the cutting blades to the edge of the lawn.

I do recall reading something about that in a manual. Not sure which one.

Wouldn't it be splendid if an intelligent life form from Husqvarna would be allowed to
contribute meaningfully to these discussions?

Danny2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Regarding:

. . . it seems that it's not a matter of how close to the outer edge of the mower body
that the blades reach to, but how far 'across' the boundary wire the mower will track,
thereby bringing the cutting blades to the edge of the lawn.

I do recall reading something about that in a manual. Not sure which one.

Wouldn't it be splendid if an intelligent life form from Husqvarna would be allowed to
contribute meaningfully to these discussions?

Actually, in my case, (and I am sure many others) it does matter how close to the edge of the mower body it will cut. I have a retaining wall with a concrete footing under it, footing is level with the lawn, but is only about 4 " wide, so, if the mower can't cut closer than 4 inches from it's outermost dimension, it won't be able to trim to the edge of the lawn without hitting the wall. (So, if it can't trim to the edge, & I need to trim it myself, it kinda defeats the purpose.)

Perry

Threads
Does this (from the manual) provide a clue to your options?

perry-albums-general-picture8681-edge-option-boundary-wire.jpg

Danny2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does this (from the manual) provide a clue to your options?

perry-albums-general-picture8681-edge-option-boundary-wire.jpg

Not really, but I did find another data sheet online and found the information I was looking for, assuming the cutting blade is in the center of the mower. 21.7" wide mower - 8.7" blade = 13" ÷ 2 = 6.5" minimum from any fence, wall etc.

Danny2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually, in my case, (and I am sure many others) it does matter how close to the edge of the mower body it will cut. I have a retaining wall with a concrete footing under it, footing is level with the lawn, but is only about 4 " wide, so, if the mower can't cut closer than 4 inches from it's outermost dimension, it won't be able to trim to the edge of the lawn without hitting the wall. (So, if it can't trim to the edge, & I need to trim it myself, it kinda defeats the purpose.)

So, I have done some more research, the husky auto mower does indeed have the mowing motor in the center of the machine, so no mowing to the edges, but the robomower rm40 will mow outside the wheels, and do so for a lot less money. Not sure how reliable the robomow will be, but, it looks like the machine for my use right now. Any other options anyone else knows of?