Husqvarna 26hp 54inch fuel issue

mountman62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, brand new to the site, purchased a used zero turn yesterday, my first, yeh, 26hp B & S 54 inch cut, mower will turn over, but will not crank, will fire off on starting fluid, so I know it is a fuel issue, i have fuel pumping thru the fuel pump when turning over, i pulled the carb & checked all of it, looks ok to me, there is a solinoid on the bottom of the fuel bowl, What is the purpose of it, the rod on it is bent, but I still don't see why it shouldn't crank unless this switch is bad, do i have to replace the whole carb or can i just get the switch or bowl, i would think that this still wouldn't keep it from cranking if it will fire on starting fluid, any help would be greatly appreciated, he also said he thought the PTO switch was bad, looks like this mower has been sitting up since last year

phcaan

Threads
Hello, brand new to the site, purchased a used zero turn yesterday, my first, yeh, 26hp B & S 54 inch cut, mower will turn over, but will not crank, will fire off on starting fluid, so I know it is a fuel issue, i have fuel pumping thru the fuel pump when turning over, i pulled the carb & checked all of it, looks ok to me, there is a solinoid on the bottom of the fuel bowl, What is the purpose of it, the rod on it is bent, but I still don't see why it shouldn't crank unless this switch is bad, do i have to replace the whole carb or can i just get the switch or bowl, i would think that this still wouldn't keep it from cranking if it will fire on starting fluid, any help would be greatly appreciated, he also said he thought the PTO switch was bad, looks like this mower has been sitting up since last year

You may want to try the Briggs and Stratton web site, there is a lot of information there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please define what you mean by cranking. To most of us cranking and turning over mean the same thing. The fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb is used to stop the flow of fuel in the carb when the engine is shut off. When you say the rod is bent, do you mean the plunger part of the fuel solenoid? Please post the engine numbers so we know what you are talking about?

blainenbecky

Threads
get the fuel solenoid (fuel shut off) on the bottom of the carb working and most likely it will run.
but I would see if it will run after poring a little gas down the top of the Carb just to make sure it will run on gas like it dose the starting fluid as a week coil with a yellow spark can run on starting fluid and not run on gas. the spark should be nice and blue
when you establish you have the (fuel shut off) working and the spark is nice and blue and it still dose not run change the spark plug as some times it can make a nice spark out of the motor but may not spark in the motor when under compression.
I have seen that a few times over the years.
good luck and let us know what it was as someone else may find this thread by having the same issue and it may be a help to them as well
or not.lol :confused2:

chobbs1957

Threads
Please define what you mean by cranking. To most of us cranking and turning over mean the same thing. The fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb is used to stop the flow of fuel in the carb when the engine is shut off. When you say the rod is bent, do you mean the plunger part of the fuel solenoid? Please post the engine numbers so we know what you are talking about?

:smile:Yeah, I've slowly realized that on this forum!

In south Georgia:
- turn over means the starter engages and the engine literally turns over as though it is trying to start.
- crank means it actually starts after it turns over.

I was around some coworkers not too many years ago who referred to a suction hose as being a "pipe"! I kept looking for a pipe as in a rigid tube thing to hand them, but they wanted a hose.

Anyhoos, good luck on getting your mower to turn over, crank, start, run, move, and mow!