Husqvarna 2009 lgt2554 belt slipping

Diygal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm becoming fed up with my riding mower. It spends more time up in the air than mowing the yard. When I apply the brake the belt slips off so I can't move forward or backward. I spend more time being towed back to the shop than on the turf. I've only had this mower 2 months and am frustrated. My husband replaced the belt yesterday and has adjusted the brake as much as he can. The pulleys don't look worn but there is a natural, what could be described as too much slack that can't be reigned in which is causing the belt to slip off.

We have been restoring cars for over 50 years so are not newbies to mechanics. My husband is now looking at what he considers a design flaw and trying to come up with a better fix where he can modify something. He said the bracket to one of the pulleys is situated too far away which is allowing the belt to slip off. It can't be adjusted or nudged closer. Don't even get me started on his opinion of the vertical vs horizontal position of pulleys. LOL! Anyway, he went to the repair shop yesterday for the belt (he went with OEM to make sure of fit) and the owner pretty much said, this is a normal issue with the Husqvarna riding mower and we can replace the pulleys but it'll probably do it again.

Has anyone tackled any modifications to the pulley system or brake that helped eliminate this irritating and time consuming issue?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The belt is coming off for reason but you didn't where the belt is coming off so I am assuming either at the idlers or engine pulley.

First make sure you got the correct belt that is not worn out ( I see you brought a new OEM belt so that shouldn't be the problem).

Second make sure idler pulleys are in good shape especially the v-idler. The plastic v-idlers tends to wear out so the v-belt rides too deep (this extra loose belts). And I have seen the flat idler lips to come completely off and the belt is not simply retained. Then of course there is the bearings that get too clearance and start flopping around.

Third make sure all the belt retainers are in place and not bent out shape. There is three of them not counting the one on the transaxle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT is 10 years old and now past the end of it's design service life.
If you restore cars you should be well aware that year on year they were designed to fall apart sooner.
IT is not a poor design, it is a cheap design because affluent people will not pay a fair & reasonable price for a long life quality mower.

Justin-YTH24V54

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Husqvarna mower belt is tight but the drive belt is loose

Last edited: