Huskee with Briggs motor hesitates to start

browniejb1988

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a Huskee supreme 608 13AL608G731 lawn tractor. Overfilled the oil when I got it used last year. Replaced the spark plug and air filter and it ran like a champ. After a couple months it started hesitating when it would start. Now it takes about 20-30 seconds to start it no matter the weather. It runs perfectly at any throttle position after it is started. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if it is related to the original overfill of the oil. What could the cause of this be? What are my options? Would like to avoid paying $50 per hour to diagnose this issue. Please help

Huskee Supreme 608
Briggs & Stratton Single OHV
New air filter
fresh gas
new fuel filter
new spark plug
correct oil amount in reservoir

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a Huskee supreme 608 13AL608G731 lawn tractor. Overfilled the oil when I got it used last year. Replaced the spark plug and air filter and it ran like a champ. After a couple months it started hesitating when it would start. Now it takes about 20-30 seconds to start it no matter the weather. It runs perfectly at any throttle position after it is started. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if it is related to the original overfill of the oil. What could the cause of this be? What are my options? Would like to avoid paying $50 per hour to diagnose this issue. Please help

Huskee Supreme 608
Briggs & Stratton Single OHV
New air filter
fresh gas
new fuel filter
new spark plug
correct oil amount in reservoir

Well since it starts and runs I suspect either choke operation or dirty carb. It's possible it needs a valve adjustment but cleaning the carb is usually a good place to start. Check fuel lines for clogs and filter while your down there.

browniejb1988

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well since it starts and runs I suspect either choke operation or dirty carb. It's possible it needs a valve adjustment but cleaning the carb is usually a good place to start. Check fuel lines for clogs and filter while your down there.

Thank you. I will try this. I suspect this carb has never been cleaned or replaced. A new carb is $65. Is it worth my time to clean it (No experience) or should I just purchase replacement?

Threads
Thank you. I will try this. I suspect this carb has never been cleaned or replaced. A new carb is $65. Is it worth my time to clean it (No experience) or should I just purchase replacement?

Just remove it take the bowl off, and run a paper clip through the jet holes in it. If you are able there a few things like that on you-tube that will walk you through the whole process. I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, and I have had to choke it to get it started since it was brand new. It is like yours it doesnt matter what the weather is it has to be choked to start every time. So it might just need an adjustment on the choke cable but I would for sure check, and adjust the valves as needed.

RMD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I suggest you relook at the air filter. Its been some months.

Remove the air filter, tap it carefully on a flat surface like a workbench , outside down untill most of the solids are out. Then look from the inside out into the sunlight. You should be able to see through the pores of the filter. Do this inspection with a new filter to get an idea of what it should look like. Sometimes filters look clean but the pores are blocked. This can be caused by unburned fuel in the exhaust gasses.

If the engine starts first time without a filter you have your answer. Its unlikely to be the carb if its running fine.

Alternatively if the air filter isnt the problem. Loosen off the gas cap to test if you have a fuel vacuum hindering the fuel from being drawn into the cylinder.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if the choke is working.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I say start small. Replace all filters and spark plug.