Huskee tiller

Fairlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have just got a Huskee tiller ( 5 hp Briggs ) that was very hard to start, put in new gas ,change the oil, finally got it to run (runs good ) but i could not control the throttle , put on a new governor spring, the one on it was not in good shape..now the throttle will not stay where you set it, it goes right back to the idol position. If some one messed with the governor setting would that put to much tension on the governor spring pulling the throttle back towards the idol position? the engine runs really good as long as you hold the throttle lever with your hand or rev it up and down . Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the governor springs job is to open the throttle. Could be a combination of the governor spring incorrectly set, and possibly the throttle linkage or shaft being sticky. Is the throttle control moving back to idle or is it staying in place, but the engine speed changing.

Fairlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
the throttle linkage ,the throttle control lever, as soon as you take your fingers off the throttle control lever everything moves right bake to the idol position . i sprayed everything with zep 45. I'm pretty sure i have the governor spring on correctly but it seams like it is pulling it back towards the idol position,,weird. but, i know very little about these small engines.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the throttle control lever has lost its friction properties. Could be due to just wear over time, or sometimes lubing the control can loosen stuff up to where it will vibrate back to idle.

give me the model number info for the engine so I can see what you are working on.

Fairlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was wondering that myself also,, Model no. is 135202 and the type is 1259-E1, thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
that is what it sounds like. the throttle control up by the carb is supposed to have resistance when pushing or pulling the throttle control. those will wear and get loose and will cause what you are experiencing. You may be able to tighten the rivet up to add tension, but I haven't have much luck on others that I have tried. You may be better off just changing out the control assembly.

Fairlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK ,,I bet you are right,,I will pull off the control panel and linkage to check and see how freely the throttle lever moves back and forth ,, Sure appreciate all your help ILENGINE,,thanks